impedance comp for woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am wondering how exact the impedance comp needs to be on a woofer for my 2.5 way project.
I am using an 8" woofer for my .5 and a single 5.5 mH coil for a rolloff starting around 200hz.
I can't find the exact manufactures data for my woofer an Audax HM210G0 but I calculated the impedance comp circuit values using the later version HM210G6 for an Re 0f 6.2 and VC induct of 1.47

I wound up with 8ohm resistor and 25 pF cap for the impedance comp circuit.

What if my woofer is not exactly the same the same Re and VC inductance?
I don't have any software to run a "what if"

Thanks for any input

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've only started playing with impedance compensation recently but my advice is that calculated values compared to needed values may bear no resemblance to each other.

Do an impedance measurement with the drivers in the final enclosure both before and after putting in the impedance compensation, and then experiment from there.

Speaker workshops suggested imp comp circuits (assuming you measured the impedance with it) seem to work pretty well as a starting point for fine tuning (much better than formulas that I tried).

Tony.

edit: my first try was with a calculated cap of about 15uF, in reality a cap between 30 and 60 uF is more appropriate (with changes in resistor value as well) for my application.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.