DIY Project Database Search

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vikash said:
Hello fellow diyers,

I have created a searchable database of DIY Audio projects with comprehensive categorisation of each project. This will allow people to find real projects examples that contain specific items of interest as a reference for their own projects.

For example, you might search for all projects that are about 'ported subwoofer with an active first order crossover'.

Of course this requires you to enter your DIY efforts and classify them as accurately as possible (doesn't take more than a few minutes) ;) : http://www.vikash.info/audio/diy_audio_search/add_project.asp

I look forward to any feedback/suggestions

Brilliant Idea!

I have include mine in your web site.
Alternatively, you may visit my web sites at :-

http://www.geocities.com/ec1288/index.html

My projects consist of Altec Lansing A5 Voice of the theatre Speakers, Pass Labs Aleph 5 Amplifers, Audio Note Ongaku, Genesis Ribbon & NHT 1259 Speakers, etc

Regards,
ec1288

Hi Bas,

Yes it does need some work, but it's not receiving the audiance required to warrant further work on it at the moment.

If we could somehow integrate it into the DA site and publicise it better, then judging by the feedback so far think I think it could be a great aid to our little community.

I'm happy to donate ownership of it to DA, host and maintain it so as not to put something else on AF's plate.
Let me know what you think.

We have the WIKI site already...but I get the feeling people don't really frequent those often...nor are FAQ's often read...etc..etc..

The only way your database does not end up being just another fancy WIKI is to dedicate time and effort now while it is still in the early stages...that will enhance usefullness from the word go..and will increase that chances of it becoming a usefull database.

I think it would be great to incorporate it into diyaudio....let's ask AF...but we would need to moderate the database....make rules and directives..etc.. I would not mind helping you with that...and so will the other mods I think.

Hi Bas, crazy busy as always but I've been thinking about this again and started a db schematic that will allow users to manage their own project links, and comprehensive search capabilities from the get go. I hope you and others wil be able to help along the way.

To begin with, any additions/mods to the category items? :http://www.vikash.info/audio/diy_audio_search/index.asp

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Vikash,

maybe I'm overly paranoid, but the thing that turned me off about the database, was the required information namely first name last name and email address. (I know you already have this for me, but......) Is this info only available to you personally, or can anyone searching the database access it? This is not something you state (as far as I can see) on the site. A simple privacy policy would probably be a good idea. We could of course provide fake details but......

Tony.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Vik, somebody took a dump in your database :mad:

In every section I find the following:

------------------------------------------------------------
audiotube.atspace.com/small_signal_triode/

A lot of audio tube data sheet on small signal triodes, small signal pentodes, power triodes, power tetrodes, power pentodes, and rectifiers valves.

Audio Tube

The information is obviously useful to tube folks and there's a good reason why there's also a tube section in your database - this belongs here rather than in everything but the tube section.

I also checked this Audiotube webpage and nothing actual works on it.

EDIT: There's this splattered in every section too:

hdtv.infodiv.com

Lots of information and resources on HDTV

I12mm Yahoo

Why do idiots post this stuff in the wrong sections?

Could not use your database

I thought your site cocept was brilliant & went straight away to check out on members speaker projects.
I searched under about 5 categories all quite common, example: 3-way, ported, sealed etc.
Pressing the search button yieled nothing in every case.
I don't know if its my security settings or what, any ideas, this is quite a disappointmet.
Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.