Pls help a noob choose which speaker kit to buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
firstly im located in sydney.

I have a budget of up to about $1300 but would like to spend less if possible. I listen to a lot of rock, metal, alternative and dance music, usually at least for two hours a day.

I have no idea about which brands are the best for drivers etc but i do have a grasp of basic audio terminology and the concepts behind things like ports etc.

I'm specifically looking for a DIY speaker kit that comes with everything i need to make the speakers (bar tools of course). Im looking primarily at floorstanding speakers and am planning to hook them up to an old (approx 20 years) 120 watt/ch Sansui stereo reciever. (is sansui a decent brand??)

I have so far looked at two speaker kits from two sources, linkage here:

http://www.d-s-t.com.au/Ventura/HDS455.htm ($649, i can pick up)

and;

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/index.php?page=deluxe&kitid=F6 ($1199 plus i have to pay for delivery)

I noticed that the cheaper one (first one) has a 92db sensitivity which i know is important because it means itll need less power to go loud as compared with the MKII F6 kit which is rated at 90db. LOUD is important to me, and audio quality is equally important.

I might mention here that ill be running this stereo system with a 12" 250 watt JBL ported sub so bass isnt a problem.

I would like your opinion on these two kits that i have found and if you could point out the strengths and weaknesses of each one (and why the expensive one might be better than the cheaper one) then thatd be most helpful.

I need help deciding on which kit to choose or if you could suggest another kit thats within my price range then go ahead.

BTW Im planning on getting the sansui 120w/ch amp as its only $300 which is about a quarter or less of the price of an equivalently powered new amp. i may upgrade to a new, better amp in the future, but not yet.

Thx in advance for your help.

rob kramer

OMFG i just looked at the price of those things! holy **** thats way above my price range. Great value sure, but im sure that the power supply and other components would add at least another $200 and then you looking at about $900!! Did you notice that i am getting the sansui for $300? and its 20 watts more per channel.

Also I might say that while id be happy to try my hand at putting together a speakers kit where all the parts needed come with it, i am not going to be bothered sourcing all the extra parts that are needed for that amp kit and trying to assemble it all. Ill stick with the sansui cos' its cheap. but thx anyway.

I am still undecided on which speaker kit to go for, Id like a few more opinions. thx.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.