Identify this speaker! (proximity) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2005, 10:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to xstephanx
Default Identify this speaker! (proximity)

Currently i have a pair of speakers in my music system, theyre old cause i ripped of off dads old system, but they DO sound good IMO.

Looking for some info if there is any

a rough description, two way speaker roughly 20-24" tall, one 8" woofer and a tweeter(roughly 2" in diameter). the tweeter is black, conical, and has an orange dot in the middle. The woofer is a paper one with acordian surround and a 1" dustcap. The cabinet is covered in a faux wood finish. the maker is "PROXIMITY"

The speakers sound good, i have no intention of getting rid of em, but id like some background info.
Old 9th February 2005, 01:25 AM   #2
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

They are a Canadian 'knock off' or 'rack system' speaker. They were originally designed to go with rack systems available at chain stores. (at 'The Brick', they used to be called the "Vivid" brand name. Same Guy!) everything else was discounted, and these were the part of the system that money was made on.

There is a Hungarian or Eastern block (origin point) gentelman in Southern Ontario, who is responsible for all the 'white van' speakers, ie the cheapies sold in parking lots to unsuspecting people. The guy who makes those (and about 20 other brands,and brand names he's stolen or *******ized)...he is the guy who made those 'Proximity' speakers. Seriously. He's been at it for over 25 years now.
Old 9th February 2005, 01:56 AM   #3
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is a Hungarian or Eastern block (origin point) gentelman in Southern Ontario, who is responsible for all the 'white van' speakers, ie the cheapies sold in parking lots to unsuspecting people. The guy who makes those (and about 20 other brands,and brand names he's stolen or *******ized)...he is the guy who made those 'Proximity' speakers. Seriously. He's been at it for over 25 years now.
Really? Do you have any more info on him? I wonder if he's hiring

Hide this!Advertise here!