Finally completed "Delta" enclosure (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
....after 8 months construction.

Attachments

• feb6_3.jpg
    feb6_3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,671
gary f said:
Impressive work. That is great woodworking.

You chose the best drivers you could find. How is the sound?
F

i'm going to have to object now, seas exel is still the best i'v heard play, given that you cross over before the breakup of the cone.
I find details to be lost more or less in papercone speakers, compared to good metal cones.

Thanks guys. Well I'm not much of a woodworker, but have to say they turned out pretty well. Drivers are Morel Supreme, CQuenze 15H520613SDK, Scan 18W8531 & Scan 26W8861. Expensive, but I got a few good deals.
Drivers were pretty much the best I could find for a sensitive, shallow sloped, linear phase application like this, which kind of rules out metal cones. I've just put together a quick & dirty crossover because I couldn't wait to hear them. I'm very happy with the sound (only had 2 hours listening so far). Bass is powerful, deep & tight, midrange extremely detailed and highs very extended & natural. Despite being 3.5 way, everything sounds very coherent & natural. The tweeter was a little bright at first but then seemed to calm down. I'll let them run-in for a month or so before doing full testing & crossover design.
Cheers
www.gattiweb.com/delta_design

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Must say excellent work David.

I tend to stick to 2 way because the crossover scares me even then. Do enjoy the cabinet building & finishing part though but the listening after the construction is the best bit, especially when you consider that you'd be looking at US$10,000+ for the speakers you've just built!

For the sake of argument/ fun? ... I love the way these look....These are exactly something i was looking into buying/making... They would also meet the spouse factor (looking good)...

but....

I dont think i can manage to spend a whole lot on the drivers at the moment. Can we figure out a comparable cheaper alternative? then upgrade as the bacon rolls in...

Im getting tired of listening to my vinyl's through my headphones :)

kudos to the fantastic speakers...

Thanks for the interest.
A compact design with a good appearance was one of my main objectives. The footprint size is similar to a stand-mounted bookshelf.

I've often considered the cheaper options that would give probably 80%-90% of the same sound quality. There are heaps of drivers that would suit but the important thing is in choosing 8 ohm drivers of similar sensitivity, good Xmax and well-behaved response, since I use gentle filters for linear phase. Overall sensitivity goal is 90dB/2.83V.

Low-cost option -:
Morel Supreme 110 - replace with Morel MDT32S $US57
CQuenze 15H5206 with Peerless 850488 - $43
Scan 18W8531 with Peerless 850490 - $US64
Scan 26W8861 with Peerless 850146 -$US64
Vifa & Seas also have a few good candidates.

Mid-cost option -:
Morel MDT33 $US117
Seas Excel M15CH $US150
Scan 18W8535 $US145
Scan 25W8565 $US172

I am using only air-core inductors and poly caps, which were quite expensive due to their large values.
Constrained layer construction could be substituted with a regular enclosure. These weigh almost 100kgs each!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.