selenium coax speaker question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My "matching" pair isn't going up for sale until I get them in the styrofoam rear horns I'm building next week. I'm using the Jensen Imperial horn dimensions but sliightly taller and much narrower at the top. They're each going to be cut out of a block of styrofoam and reinforced with a little wood, fiberglass and epoxy with plywood sides, top and bottom. I'll have no parallel panels and a throat much closer to square, so theoretically they'll be better than the original design. Weighing in at well under 100lbs each, they should make a great, easily moveable, party speaker.

back to the issue

Hi darth...
If I was planning this i would take the co12p and pair it with a 15 in a box similar to the hurricane offered by adire audio.
The 12 coax would be in a small sealed box of its own and the size of that box could be as small as 40 liters.
Cross that at 140-300 and make a bigger real bass enclosure for a 15inch bass unit. the 12inch moust likely have a sweeter sound then the 15inch selenium unit.
quick and loud!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK guys, NOW what are going to recommend to our teenaged members as a simple project that willl amaze their friends, and drive their parents to the sanitarium? Are there other reasonably priced pro coax drivers WITH crossovers? I'd say $300 /pr is the limit...

There is the Eminence coax w/ the beta woofer, but no crossover.

similar components
I guess the 12" Adire is good, but I better check the price...

Wait! here it is in yet another co-ax thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=506840#post506840

The PAudio coax . Paudio has a good rep. Lets track down the price...

http://www.speakercity.com/paudio/coaxialdrivers.shtml

oops a bit over $200 apiece :( Still might be a great deal...

sorry i havnt replied for a bit, i been doing some volunteer work at an elderly care place down the road and looking for paid work so i can get my plans on the road.

the P audios here which i can get are about $369 which is for the BM-12CXHA... very similar design to the Electrovoice 12TRXB, but a two way design...

havnt heard the sound of the 12TRXB but i hear they produce very, very clean sound.

there are many ideas going in my mind at the moment on what to do

ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

lol sorry, just goin insane...

i have found a design i like and looks simple to make, due to my mates dad can cut the wood for me :D

i wanna thank Variac for teh link to the other thread in the forums which i found on that thread a rear loaded P audio 12" coax horn.

i still plan to get the selenuims, but this use them in this horn design. i dont know how well it would go in this due to being built for the P audio but would i be able to give it a try?? then again i just have to get the p audios for this design... hmmm sorry bthinking out aloud :p

has anyone build similar vers for the seleniums?

Attachments

• fig3.jpg
    fig3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 364
hi Darth,

Another option are the fane coaxials (the have 12 and 15" versions). I have no experience with them but some people on the high eff forum at AA have rate them very high. A couple of the forum members here seem to have some experiaence with them. I think Brett, who has posted on this thread could comment on them.

I have no idea if they are available to you where you are.

www.fane-acoustics.com/

Youl might want to chech this "coax review by brett"

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=28598#post28598

has anyone build similar vers for the seleniums?
Not me, but the 15CO1P's Qts is way too high to work well in a BLH (AKA scoop bin). This driver is best suited to either a sealed or aperiodic alignment. That said, I did a ML-TL awhile back for someone using the net Vb required for a ~T/S max flat alignment sealed cab (~11.16ft^3), and due to a 30Hz Fb should sound ~ like the sealed except with more gain below ~110Hz, but none have been built to date AFAIK so as always YMMV.

GM

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SOme of the PAudio models are said to be pretty much copies of certain JBL models. Now we have amention that a model is similar to EV. This could be useful knowledge - a way to use some existing cab designs with cheaper drivers

EDIT: here is a lingk to the Selenium home site:
http://www.selenium.com.br/site2004/catalogo/pdf/pro_coaxial_15co2p_15co2p-slf.pdf

Is that a new model number? It appears NOT to have the crossover :(

EDIT: Yes the one listed now is the 15CO2P
The older one was the 15CO1P
The specs and graphs seem identical, BUT the crossover isn't mentioned. I will scan the crossover from the old coax- should work fine, if anyone finds the new drivers....

http://www.cannonsound.com.au/paudpro.html

they look like JBL 'Clones' and they are half price to what JBL are.

also, does anyone know about the official P Audio website? i cant seem to access it..

i dont know if they have changed sites or not...

also, i cant find a retailer in australia that sell FANE speakers at the moment. i have seen in a few of the nightclubs in our area that do use FANE, but i dont know where they got them from.

it's a bummer that i cant BLH the seleniums,. ill keep lookin out :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.