Home Theatre Speaker Drivers 4 DYI - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2005, 09:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Home Theatre Speaker Drivers 4 DYI

Basically I want to know what brand speaker drivers (for home theatre) are total ****, decent (mid-range) and top of the line and how much they are going to set me back? I've got some really nice enclosures and would just like a general idea about drivers. Thanks for any help!

PS. I'm a bit of a n00b so please keep it a bit simple Any information sites you could recommend would be great too. thanks fellas.
Old 6th February 2005, 11:58 AM   #2
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Bazooka,

Speakers are a "system" comprising of enclosure, driver and crossover. for the system to work properly, it must be designed so that the enclosure, crossover and driver work well together. "Really nice enclosures" with incompatable "top of the line" drivers and an incompatable crossover will sound poor.

A great point to start from would be to see what drivers and crossovers the enclosures are designed for and then build that. Otherwise, a little trolling on this forum will provide some links to kits where someone has already done the hard work of integrating compatable components.

Now, before getting too far ahead of yourself, if you are asking for advice here, the things people will need to know are:

What will the system be used for (I assume that for you this is home cinema).

What amplifier are you using, and what is its output (watts)

What is your listening environment (what size room etc)

This link is to an Australian speaker kit manufacturer. Some good advice on the home page and will give you an idea of what is available.

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/ind...?page=whichkit

Good luck with the research and the eventual project

Cheers,

Chris
Old 6th February 2005, 03:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://ldsg.snippets.org/idx.php3

May be a good read for driver info.

Cheers,

Rob

Hide this!Advertise here!