Mordaunt Short brainteaser... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2005, 10:16 PM   #1
REDSKIN is offline REDSKIN  England
diyAudio Member

Default Mordaunt Short brainteaser...

Here's one to test the grey matter. Does anyone know what driver was used in the mordaunt short ms6 loudspeaker? I'm guessing Audax but I'm not sure. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Old 4th February 2005, 11:21 PM   #2
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

mordaunt short made their own 8in treated paper cone bass mid unit, AFAIK the tweeter was a melinex hard dome 1 in unit from isophon possibly the kk8 or 10 hope this helps cheers TC
Old 5th February 2005, 12:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default mordaunt short

A while ago I bought a pair of the classic " Pageants " including stands, for my son's system and they still sound good. The tweeter, which is an Isophon 10, I have a pair of 8's, can sound a little hard but they are getting on a bit. I recently found a pair of discarded MS40's, which use the same 8in MS driver but with a cheaper tweeter. As the bass unit seems to be in excellent condition I would like to try it in another box and better tweeter. Has anyone got the T/S parameters for this unit " MS ", can not help.

Thanks
Old 5th February 2005, 02:41 PM   #4
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

yea; the isophon tweeters were highly prized in the 70's for their detail and resolution until audax brought out their early range of soft domes which were just as detailed but a lot sweeter lacking the hardness of the isophons 6 of this 6 of that.... sorry to hear MS cant help with the bass mid parameters my suspicion is that they have them but they dont want to give them out into the public domain as it were, I had the same problem with spendor in regards to the bass units of my preludes which if suitable I wanted to use in a TL based on one of the IPL [S4] designs that I helped a friend build from a kit he bought a few years ago when he was over there in GB
CHEERS TC
Old 5th February 2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I also own a pair of Pageants that I purchased new in 1981!

These were the first items to be upgraded when I began my DIY hi-fi career, and were relegated to my test system.

When I built my first Gainclone, I connected it up to the Pageants and had never heard them sound better. It encouraged me to do a few mods to the Pageants and now I wouldn't get rid of them.

If I remember correctly, the company making the MS6's was not the same one that made the Pageants. MS went out of business and the name was then taken over by Richer Sounds (or somebody) to put on their own range of speakers.
Old 6th February 2005, 02:47 AM   #6
Jhovis is offline Jhovis  United States
diyAudio Member

It's funny you mention Audax. I have Audax home theater speakers. I recently added 4 M-S bipoles to the rear because the Audax were too large to fit inside my speaker columns. They match very well but they don't look any Audax driver I ever saw.

BTW, I see your signature line says: "He shoots. He scores!" Just for fun during the FA cup, I ordered a Millwall shirt and then made my own version that says: Americans For Millwall...No one likes us either!
Old 6th February 2005, 10:02 PM   #7
REDSKIN is offline REDSKIN  England
diyAudio Member

Urmmm.... thanks for the help but the ms6 uses a 6" driver not an 8". Come on someone must remember these from way back when.

Jhovis.. the signiture line was actually a Hockey reference as I'm a Blackhawks/Streatham Redskins fan. Shame the Flames went to Calgary.
Old 10th February 2005, 12:09 AM   #8
Jhovis is offline Jhovis  United States
diyAudio Member

Redskin,
I saw London, your sig and immediately thought it was a football reference. We now have the Thrashers which is also an NHL team as well as the Gladiators who play in the IHL. The Flames have been gone so long, not too many people remember them anymore. But those who do still lament the fact that they won the cup just after leaving.

Hide this!Advertise here!