Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2005, 07:58 PM   #1
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Help installing driver when cutout wrong size

Hoping someone can suggest a solution to my dilemma. I made driver cutouts for some TB 871s, and upon putting one driver in one of the holes, I found that the cotout was the right size, but the inner 'shelf' that the driver sits on and the screws actually bite into is too narrow, so that it doesnt completely cover where the screws will go.

In other words, if I look at the driver straight on, I see some mdf and some air through the screw holes. Surely this has happened to someone else before? Any suggestions on how I can mount these drivers without the screws (with aesthetics in mind) would be hugely appreciated.
Old 4th February 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you could rebuild the shelf with something like car body filler?
Old 4th February 2005, 09:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Just glue blocks behind where the screws go.
Old 4th February 2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Keld is offline Keld  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Why dont you try this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...7122#post97122

And some filler to make it airtight.
Old 4th February 2005, 09:44 PM   #5
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

thanks for the suggestions.. I am a little limited in what I can do as the box is already glued together and I have access to the interior only through the driver cutout, so as elegant as the knuts are, I don't think I will be able to install the interior screw for them. So far the blocks option looks most likely, I am going to have to think about it a little.
Old 5th February 2005, 01:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Just glue blocks behind where the screws go.
I did that on my tweeters and it worked pretty good. I didn't dare to try and put T-nuts though so I just used fairly small wood screws and pre-drilled the holes with a small drill bit to be safe.
Old 6th February 2005, 04:07 PM   #7
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

The blocks sound ok... but the choice of material is important, since your screw seems likely to go right through the glue joint...
so, I'd pre drill the hole before placing screws.

The other possibility is clamping the drivers, you still need to fill the holes but you can do that with something like "Mortite" window putty - a good non hardening (well not super hardening) material to make air tight gasket mounting of speakers....

If ur really industrious and have a good drill press and a circle cutter (fly cutter type) you could actually cut rings to fit into the hole, if you are careful... alternative (2) (better) is to make a cut out that fits with a little sanding into the holes you cut, glue that in and then redrill the cutout to the right size. (you get the new plug piece flush by laying it in screwed to a bit of flat stock... (a hockey puck screwed to a 2x4, in concept)

Plan(3) make a new baffle that sits on the old baffle, but has a taper or curve from the driver cutout back to the edge of the baffle (or an appropriate distance. You can completely cut out the hole area that now exists, assuming multiple drivers, so there is less or no cavity created behind the driver... etc...

Btw, non-flat baffles (curved or tapered) often have better looking freq response than do flat baffles with a sharp edge...

_-_-bear

PS rule #1 for mounting drivers - always do a test cut on scrap and see if it fits before cutting on the finished piece(s) !
Old 6th February 2005, 05:50 PM   #8
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Here's what I've done

Try to get back to the point you were at before you did the cut-out(!).
Yes, I'm talking about cutting a complimentary wooden plug, then glueing it back in there. All you'd have to do is measure the actual size of the rebate (diameter and depth) and the cutout. This is of course assuming that you have a regular circular cutout, as one would achieve when using a circle jig. It's not critical, but this would make for the neatest repair.

HTH
Old 6th February 2005, 08:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Here's what I've done

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun
Try to get back to the point you were at before you did the cut-out(!).
Yes, I'm talking about cutting a complimentary wooden plug, then glueing it back in there.
HTH
This looks like your best bet, although it's a pain in the @$!
Then again, lots of people like having double thick front baffles. Cut your existing hole just a little bit larger then glue on another baffle with the correct cut out for your driver. Try to get the two holes to match up and have a nice taper. You want the back of the driver to be able to breathe and not have the baffle blocking.
Old 7th February 2005, 12:47 AM   #10
bzdang is offline bzdang  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you can get some thick [non-dripping] epoxy adhesive then the block approach might be easiest to do. CanTire or a marina store [in Guelph?!].

Hide this!Advertise here!