Why XLS not SLS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know that the Peerless XLS' are great air movers... big, and long displacement.

However, I've tried to model a box with WinISD. Just like their application notes conclude, a 6th order bandpass or passive radiator is the only way of getting these to work below 40 Hz.

With intended use for a sub below maybe 80 Hz, there's not much point in having this driver, if it's impossible for ordinary people to build a good sub-woofer with.
also, if going for vented, the port will need to be HUGE!

Even so, the XLS seem to be designed to work with massive amplifiers (400W in their application note), and equalized to obtain decent performance.

The SLS, by comparison, rolls off much lower than the XLS in the same 150 liter (!) cabinet, without active EQ'ing.

Thus, I am considering an array of 4 SLS' (2 in series, 2 of these sets in parallel), as building a box seems much easier for real life people.

Can anyone tell me a success-story with XLS subs, and how they build them?

Jennice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.