Looking for a photo of the front of the Selenium 15" Coax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the 12CO1P Selenium coaxials and can post a picture for you. That is exactly the same as the 15". All you see is a sonically transparent dustcap. The HF horn is a conical hiding just behind this cap. The cap moves with the woofer cone. It is a clever (and IMO better) way to keep out dust. The other method was to use a felt washer between the moving woofer cone and the stationary horn.

Here is a picture of the front of the 12 coaxial. I could not get the camera to image behind the dustcap but with a strong flashlight held up against the dustcap you can just see the horn and throat immediately behind it. The horn mouth looks to be about 2-1/2" diameter at the mouth. I think the crossover is at about 2K on these with the factory crossover.

Attachments

• 12co1p.jpg
    12co1p.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 291
The metal horn on the 15's stick out further than shown in the pics for the 12's. That dust cap is NOT acoutically transparent. It attentuates the HF significantly. Please let me know if you figure out some easy mods to smooth that tweeter. I'll probably end up mounting another tweeter right on the end of that metal horn since it is quite solid on the 15's. Sorry I can't upload any pics for you.

GM

Joined 2003
That dust cap is NOT acoutically transparent.
Hence my 'supposedly' caveat. ;) When asked, for HIFI apps I always recommend removing these and/or the bug screens in compression drivers.
Please let me know if you figure out some easy mods to smooth that tweeter.
Not familiar with this one, but for HIFI apps, damping with Dammar or similar smoothes any metal or composite diaphragm I've tried it on. For really severe modes, silicon caulk has worked well for me.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.