High performance measuring software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I am using LspCAD 6.0 PRO and the JustMLS can not keep up with the performance of LspCAD. I have looked at Praxis and Win MLS, but I am going to use it with my laptop. That makes WinMLS a very expensive solution as it requires an additional PCI-adapter.

Does anyone here have experience with measuring software usable for both normal room and anechoic chamber measurements?

I have Praxis and I recommend it.
You may need an external sound device, because you need stereo line inputs which are not always implemented on laptops, the M-Audio Transit is good and inexpensive, so they say.
Praxis has many features, I've only scratched the surface so far, but it is easy to use. They keep updating the software too, with new features; you just download and install the latest version.
It will work well with Lsp CAD.

Here's the website, you can do quite a lot in the free "demo" mode. Try it on the JustMLS files.

One of the reasons why I need a new software is because JustMLS does something to the phase response that makes using the files in simulations very unaccurate. (The summed response does not look like the measured system response). Does anyone know anything about this problem?

Snickers-is said:
One of the reasons why I need a new software is because JustMLS does something to the phase response that makes using the files in simulations very unaccurate. (The summed response does not look like the measured system response). Does anyone know anything about this problem?

Can you give us some more details? I have not used JustMLS before but I know people who do use it and there aren't any phase problems that I'm aware of. It might just be a simple setup problem.

Russ

There should not be a setup problem as long as I have measured drivers in one cabinet from one location, connected them in parallell and the measured the total response. The result of summing the drivers in LspCAD does not come close to the measured response even with adjusted phase on each driver.

Snickers-is said:
There should not be a setup problem as long as I have measured drivers in one cabinet from one location, connected them in parallell and the measured the total response. The result of summing the drivers in LspCAD does not come close to the measured response even with adjusted phase on each driver.

Your measurement setup is good. I have used this method myself with Clio and SoundEasy.

By setup, I meant setting up LspCAD to use your measurements. Not knowing what you have done, can you describe what you mean by "adjusted phase on each driver"? Sorry about asking such a basic question, but I think it will help you get your problem straightened out.

The measurements you took using the setup you describe will have "time of flight" plus the driver acoustic offset information in it as you probably know. These all have to be acounted for in the LspCAD model.

Russ

russbryant said:
Sorry about asking such a basic question, but I think it will help you get your problem straightened out.

Basic questions is often the simple way to solve a problem, so I am glad you're taking interest in my problem.

In JustMLS you set the distance to the speaker i a dialog box. You also have a reference probe connected to the speaker outpot to cancel any unlinearity in the amplifier and the soundcard.

In LspCAD you may set Z-distance to driver, negative and positive delay, scaling of measured data, scaling of impedance, driver orientation, driver position in x and y-axis, temperature coefficent, cooling, level of heatup, electrical polarity. It also has an extra transfer function that is disabeled by default.

morbo said:
Have you set the driver acoustic centre offsets accurately? I seem to recall reading about someone having this problem and adjusting the driver offsets until the summed curve looked like the measured curve... I'll try to dig up the link again.

I would be glad if you find it, but I can not get two drivers summed correctly even when adjusting delay or distance.

I have taken some messurements on Seas, and they semed to be much more accurate in phase.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but if you aren't getting good phase response from JustMLS you must be doing something incorrectly. I would look to other software to solve the problem untill you understand what you are doing incorrectly. And once you figure that out you probably won't need the other software. Keep.

A couple of things to check; make sure you are using the two channel metyhor; make sure the polarity is correct; measure the drivers on their respective axises and remove the delay associated with the distance for the mic to the baffle surface.

I am very thankfull for all answers, but actually that is not the problem. I am sure the problem can be solved at once I put some energy into it, but the JustMLS is very limited and that is the reason why I want new software.

From a new software I expect to get more possibilities with isolating room reflections, plotting watherfalls, isolating harmonic distortion, making longer sweeps, processing measured files, adding off axis measurements.

I am also going to make a dedicated anechoic room, but first my goal is to find out wich solution can give me most useful functions and precision. The support offered by the dealer/developer is also important.

I got great support from Liberty Instruments when I had problems with the calibration. Bill Waslo e-mailed a little program to analyse the problem. It was probably a corrupted soundcard driver; all was well when I installed the drivers again. Like I said, I recommend Praxis.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.