Mr Bose, meet Mr Radio Shack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off hi! My 1st post.

I'm closing in on 50yo and built my 1st speaker out of old tube radio parts at 14yo.

I have a nice system to listen to and know a bit about high-end audio. But you wouldn't know that with what I'm about to write :D

What to do with "junk" thats been around for years? Do a DIY project of couse.

The junk includes Bose 301s series II (1983) and Radio Shack LX5 Pro with the Linaeum stamped tweeter (1994 ?). The foam was trashed on the bose and the LX5s were never good speakers except for the tweeters. Once I thought about doing the Mr Wormer's thing on the LX5s but just never got around to it.

I replaced the 301s woofers with RS full range w/whizzer cat# 40-1044 speakers. Note: there were no chokes or XO on the bose series II before the woofer, straight line to the woofers which is good for the RS full range speakers. Then I removed the Linaeum tweeters from the LX5s and installed them dead-center on top of the 301s cabinets. Used a Chateauroux 7uf Cap on the Linaeums. Left the bose "tweeters" as is -- I always thought the paper tweeters on the 301s were more of a mid/tweeter any how.

Well, how does the match made it hell sounds?

Well worth the effort all alone but really nice with a Velodyne Sub rolling off around 100-120

If interested I will post some jpegs if thats possible on this board.

Larry

I'm very interested. I have the LX5s and did Dennis Murphy's added mass mod to the woofer, and lined the horribly resonant metal walls with a damping/absoprion sandwich which improved the sound quite a bit, but eventuallly I'd like to pull out the Linaeum and use it with some better drivers in a dipole surround speaker. In particular any measurements of the linaeum tweeter would be most appreciated.

sivan_and said:
Go ahead ..interesting......

The hybrid (Bose/RS) is taking the place of a B&W 602 S3 on the block stand. To the right is a LCR600 S3, on the floor is a Velodyne VX-10

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 766
:D HI MORBO, SOME YEARS AGO hi fi world in one of their diy supplements did some tests on a number of ribbon tweeters and the rs linoleum was one of them I THINK I still have the supplement somewhere if you can email me with a faxnumber I will gladly send you a copy, would scan it but at the moment my scanner is out to lunch as is my pc not working real good so fax is the only way, but don't get too excited the linoleum was not deemed to be very good so it's up to you, over and out TC:D

Linaeum dipole tweeter

The real problem with the Linaeum dipole is its low sensitivity - those HiFI World measurements came out at about 82dB and the speaker I've just knocked together 'by ear' using AP100Z0 (85dB) as the mid-bass has a 20W 8Ohm (all I had to hand) in series with the woofer to pad it down! Very distinctive sound - even if you balance the speaker to be bright it still sounds 'soft' . I'm wondering if its real strengths lie in as an add-on 'dipoliser' adding diffuse sound field effects at a relatively low level to an exisiting system - should be good for surround.

Ian

Thanks a bunch for those measurements planet10, they will come in very handy! Since the efficiency is so low, maybe I will think about slapping these on top of my CSS WR125 boxes and see how they sound... the WR125 only needs 5khz+ augmentation anyway, and is also quite low in efficiency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.