Building Bookshelf Speakers - Looking for suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a pair of bookshelf speakers (2-way) and stands to be rear speakers for my surround system. I am currently trying to find suitable speakers, that are also affordable.

What I'm playing around with are these from Parts Express:

Tweeters:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=264-822&DID=7

and http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=275-070&DID=7

Mid/Woofer:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-630

and http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=297-436&DID=7

I'm leaning toward the Tangband tweeter and the Peerless woofer, because the specs look better and they seem to be better brands than Dayton and HI-VI (though those HI-VI speakers do look pretty neat).

I am also considering going with smaller drivers to save even more because I have to also buy wood and crossovers.

Does this seem like a good combination of speakers? By the specs the full frequency range is covered from 45 or 50hz, depending on the woofer I choose. This would really be my first attempt at a full range speaker (usually I build subs, which doesn't require matching of drivers).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT: Now I'm looking at crossovers. I'm looking at the parts express brand ones for 10 bucks each (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-17). They come in 3,000 or 5,000hz. I think 5,000hz would be better based on the specs, but again I'd like some suggestions before I start.

yet another edit: Just thinking. Would I be better off sticking with the same brand speakers? As in if I use the peerless woofer use this tweeter (and save over 10 bucks total on the entire set)? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=277-404

Thanks,
Mike

Unless you know how to design a crossover, I would stick with a kit or a well established project. You may already realize this, but there is a lot more to designing a worthwhile 2way speaker than matching up drivers that will cover the whole frequncy range on paper. At the very least, have a long read through some of the better documented 2way projects to get a feel for the kind of extensive measurements and xover design work needed to get a good end result. I'm not saying you can't just dive in and build a working speaker, its just that odds are your end result won't be what you expect, and may leave you disappointed after all the time you sink into it.

Specific to the speakers you linked to - the only one I've heard anything about is the peerless, it is reputedly quite good. Hi-Vi is known for having some amazing products, some horrible products. Tang Band is the same. I would stick to tried and true drivers from either company, unless you have good measurement capabilities and don't mind returning them if theyre grossly off spec. You may want to take a look at the dayton RS drivers as well, you could probably use the 5" driver with a nice tweeter for a killer little 2way.

If you want to buy from parts express, look at some of the projects they have in their project showcase. Some of the cheaper ones would do fine for rear surrounds. Also take a look at John Krutke's website, he has a really nice budget 2way with a silver flute woofer.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure you missed the most recent edit, but now I'm considering the peerless tweeter mixed with the peerless woofer. It sounds like you like the sound from the peerless woofer. Sorry to bug you again, but have you heard their tweeter I linked to?

Regarding buying a kit, I don't really want to because this is going to be a project for my woods class, the speakers with matching stands.

Thanks again,
Mike

Bill,

Thanks. I may consider doing that. Looks like the drivers they use are just the larger and/or next step up from the ones I'm looking at.

If I decide to go with the ones from parts express, would I still be getting a quality speaker? I know the crossover I'm looking at isn't the greatest, but it's something I can upgrade later on. I only am hesitating on those AD.COM speakers because of the price, and I'm sure shipping isn't included.

Yeah what Bill said is what I meant, not a kit with the box premade, a kit that includes all the electronic parts and terminal cups etc but requires you to do all the woodworking.

Also to clarify, I have not heard the peerless woofer you mention. However, the CSX series has a very good design & reputation as does Peerless (for woofers anyway), thus I am confident recommending it. Do a search for Peerless CSX and you'll find lots of people who have used drivers in this series, maybe even yours.

As for the Peerless tweeter I've also not heard it, but from what I've read Seas or the newer Vifa tweeters are a better bang for the buck when it comes to tweeters, Peerless is not known for their high frequency drivers.

I really can't emphasize enough that you really shouldnt just buy 2 drivers that seem to be compatible, especially using a 'stock' crossover like you describe. The crossover must be designed for the specific drivers you choose, mounted in the baffle size you choose. There plenty of well though out designs by people who have years of experience and lots of good measuring/CAD gear, and I can see no reason you can't build these designs from scratch and still satisfy your class requirements. I can guarantee you that you won't build anything better than these designs using a stock crossover.

That said, if you insist on doing the way you describe, you should stick to drivers with as smooth and broad a rolloff as possible, and as much overlap as possible between them.

I guess I may consider buying the kit, but if I don't, I'm going to start playing around with crossover design. I'm going to start with the schematic for the garnet speaker, since the woofer it uses is the same as the one I'm going to most likely get. How much current do the inductors need to be able to handle? The ones I am getting are 1A for the 0.7mh, 0.6A for the 1.5mh and 1.6A for the 0.4mh one.

Thanks,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.