Roundover or chamfer behind the driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which do you prefer to do to the front baffle of a cabinet? I always read that you should roundover the backside of the baffle to allow the speaker to "breath" but was wondering if maybe doing a 45 degree chamfer would be better? I'm using 3/4" MDF and only have a 1/2" chamfer and 1/2" roundover for my largest bits. If you think I should get a larger one (maybe even do a 3/4" chamfer) I can go and buy one.

Thanks a million!

Ooops, should have mentioned this was for a 4.5" woofer! That's why I was curious at to whether or not I should chamfer and take more of the backing off or just stick to the roundover. When I put the 4.5" driver in the hole you can't even see the cone; that's how much it's being covered up by the MDF!

Thanks!

I will be using a 1/2" rabbetting bit and flush mounting these. I did a test on a spare piece of MDF and got it perfectly flush and they look real sharp. I forgot about doing that and how that would reduce the depth so I guess that will help a bit. With that I could probably get away with using a 1/2" bit. Heck, I'll just go home and try each (roundover/chamfer) on half of the test cutout I did and see which one I like better.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.