Crossover design help??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has any one here taken measurments of these two drivers and can help me out with a crossover design? The drivers are the Hi-Vi TN28 (297-409) and the Vifa JBL 4 1/2 inch (299-495) at Parts Express. I want to construct an affordable setup using these components but have no means of measuring them at the moment and hence coming up with a crossover design would be hit and miss at best in my estimation. I also dont want the speakers to be wider than six inches. I want the speakers narrow as it is for an already cluttered desktop.
I chose this design so that I only build a box for the woofer and surface mount the tweeter to it, minimizing the wood working necessary to build a regular two way.
I plan to build a small sub as well to augment the bass, so either sealed or ported would be ok for me.
If no one has any info on these and can provide a design, how about this woofer with another affordable tweeter? I want to order soon. Cant wait too long and then the buy out drivers go again!!

Thanks

Duane

The problem is that Ihave no measurement gear at all. I have a sure SM-57 but I doubt that counts as a measurement microphone for this sort of thing? I also live in an area where no one does this sort of thing, at least to my knowledge, so thats even more difficult. Also if I order the drivers first, there is no guarantee that I can get the resistors here and that means two orders, which can mean quite a bit of extra money trying to get the stuff here.

If you think it is possible for me to use the Shure mic, M-Audio Audio Buddy and M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card for measurements then I will try it for sure.

D

My proposal is that you download the above mentioned program. It describes an easy way to measure the parameters with a simple voltmeter. The data you need is in milivolts. All you need is to follow the instructions and put the required data in the fields. It's not hard and takes no more than half an hour. You can use WinIsd as a signal generator, you measure the required values and put them in basscad. Then you have the thile/small data. You can use them to calculate the things you need further. But if you need a frequency response... I don't know, then sure you'll need a microfone.

Good luck
Zlatan

Hi Duane, I just finished today my first speaker project(using the excellent information from this site,thank you all) ever using those same 4.5" vifa drivers from PE. I used them with a pair of old radio shack 1" dome tweets crossed over at 3200HZ. I used the free software program Unibox to model the size of box I would need to make for two TC11MG-07-04's per box for a tuning freq of 95HZ. I built them to go with my subwoofer at home. I think they sound great but have a big dip then rise at around 1.2 to 1.6 KHZ. For 4 bucks per driver it is a real good way to get your feet wet and get some experience building speakers. For easy x-over design I used this online calculator.http://www.mhsoft.nl/spk_calc.asp#crossover. Hope this helps.

I kinda guessed on the x-over and zobel circuit:xeye:
Forgive me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.