Modifying Crossover Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I'm considering building a pair of speakers similar to this design . However, I wish to use this ScanSpeak driver instead of the Seas CB17RC which is the driver specified in this design. Being new to speaker building I'm not sure how this crossover should be modified to take into account the driver change. If anyone can provide any help or point me in the direction of some suitable resources to take a look at it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac.

I would probably go with the SEAS unit he recommends, fot three reason:

1) The Scan-Speak unit (18W8545-00) is (as he says) not particulary good in the mid (escpecially high-mid) range.

2) To implement a midwoofer in a systems with a 3 db lower sensitivity can be a really big problem.

3) The SEAS unit is cheaper, and sounds better (in this application).

I originally chose the Scanspeak to try and keep it closer to the current Watt design but I guess I really should stick with the Seas unit (for these three reasons ;))

1. I'm out voted 2:1 by people who actually know something about speaker building..... ;)

2. Not having to modify the crossover will make things a lot easier for me (and will give me a more sensitive speaker to boot)

3. The seas driver is a 1/3 of the cost of the Scanspeak driver, which will save a fair whack of money when I come to build the matching center and surrounds.

Thanks for the help, time to start cutting that MDF I guess....

Mac.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.