Active/Room Equalization

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I referred to this in my previous thread, but decided to start a new one on this subject by itself...

I am interested in "active", or room equalization of loudspeakers, where the EQ has a mic & pink noise generator. Active may not be the correct term as I believe it referrs only to EQs between the source and the amps, but I guess it's active in that it (potentially) allows a greater degree of correction when one includes room modes as part of the sound experience, which I guess one should!

Anyway, anybody have this? Any kits out there or mid-priced units you might recommend? Again, I'm not looking for high end, just something that gets the job done.

An addendum - if equalizers, with enough bands, can balance a speaker's hills and valleys in frequency response, would this be an acceptable approach, in terms of simplicity, as opposed to doing all kinds of tests trying to build the ideal passive (or active?) crossover design? Isn't this (among other things) what EQs are for?

The usual cheap suggestion would be DEQ2496.

Room EQ in no way replaces crossover design. If there are nulls in the crossover no amount of EQ can correct them. What it can do is make the crossover designer's job easier; for instance, a design I worked in had a deep off-axis null. I could significantly reduce this null by changing the crossover, but I got a ~3dB bump at another point as a result. This bump can be corrected by EQ, whereas the null could not, so the tradeoff was worth it.

As with everything else in audio, you must optimize the entire system for best performance.

A popular way of killing two birds with one stone is the DCX2496, which has both crossover and limited EQ functionality.

Null...

tiroth said:
The usual cheap suggestion would be DEQ2496.

Room EQ in no way replaces crossover design. If there are nulls in the crossover no amount of EQ can correct them. What it can do is make the crossover designer's job easier; for instance, a design I worked in had a deep off-axis null. I could significantly reduce this null by changing the crossover, but I got a ~3dB bump at another point as a result. This bump can be corrected by EQ, whereas the null could not, so the tradeoff was worth it.

As with everything else in audio, you must optimize the entire system for best performance.

A popular way of killing two birds with one stone is the DCX2496, which has both crossover and limited EQ functionality.

Yes, this is another product I'm considering - but again, I'm an XO novice - what is a "null"? And what is "off axis"? :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.