DCM Time Window rebuild - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2005, 09:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DCM Time Window rebuild

WARNING! Extremely newbie questions to follow!

I am the original owner of a pair of Time Windows, circa 1977, which I would like to get working again. There is no sound coming out of any of the tweeters. Are they likely to be my problem, or is it more likely the crossovers? I have contacted DCM, and they have a suggestion for replacement tweeters (PartsExpress, part number 264-500). Has anyone out there attempted to work on rebuilding these speakers? Or, can anyone recommend a shop in the San Francisco bay area?
Thanks in advance,
Dan Clark
Old 24th January 2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know of any shops for that sort of thing, but I've always done my own repairs, being a DIY'er.

If all the tweeters suddenly stopped working, it's probably either a loosened connection somewhere, or a blown crossover component. It's possible they have a fuse (or lightbulb) that's blown. I recall listening to time windows a long time ago, but don't remember much about them, so I can't really help with specific details.

GB
Old 25th January 2005, 07:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Greg -

Thanks for the info. I will try to open up the Time Windows somehow, but it doesn't look that easy. I think the tops and bottoms are glued on. I'll let you know what I find out.

Dan
Old 25th January 2005, 03:10 PM   #4
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

Dont take the tops off!!!! The grille cloth comes off to reveal the speakers. The tweeters were old Phillips in most of the time windows and the are really bad. You most likely have blown them and not the crossover. Get the Parts Express parts and put them in and you will be ok.
Old 25th January 2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

You are probably correct then that the tweeters have blown. Doesn't peerless still sell a version of that philips tweeter? FWIW, I think they may have switched to seas tweeters in later years.

At any rate, those 3/4" vifas that DCM recommended don't sound bad at all.
Old 25th January 2005, 09:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg B
You are probably correct then that the tweeters have blown. Doesn't peerless still sell a version of that philips tweeter? FWIW, I think they may have switched to seas tweeters in later years.

At any rate, those 3/4" vifas that DCM recommended don't sound bad at all.
I've actually used the Vifa 3/4" domes in a TimeWindow repair and it was much better that the original tweeters.
Old 26th January 2005, 06:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default yes take the tops off

You need to remove the tops to then roll down the fabric sock that covr the entire speaker. I had these speakers also and had to replace the tweeters also with 3/4" vifa.
The top wood cap should pop straight off, you mah need a piece of 1x lumber to gently tap around the bootom edge to loosen it up, then roll the sock down.
Old 26th January 2005, 10:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, I will order the vifa tweeters. While I'm at it, should I do anything about the woofers, wiring, or anything else? DCM no longer carries the woofers, tho' they know someone who recones them. Good idea, or not? I'm still trying to figure out how all the drivers are actually mounted. Is it possible to post pictures here?

Thanks for putting up with all the newbie questions,
Dan
Old 26th January 2005, 03:19 PM   #9
RJ is offline RJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a thread on how to replace speakers;
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29922
Old 26th January 2005, 04:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: yes take the tops off

Quote:
Originally posted by johnmark
You need to remove the tops to then roll down the fabric sock that covr the entire speaker. I had these speakers also and had to replace the tweeters also with 3/4" vifa.
The top wood cap should pop straight off, you mah need a piece of 1x lumber to gently tap around the bootom edge to loosen it up, then roll the sock down.
The time windows I've run accross did not need the top removed to get the grille cloth off.

The woofers were screwed and 'gooped' in and I had to use a razor blade to cut the sealant to finally get the drivers out.

Hide this!Advertise here!