diy book

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the best loudspeaker design book out on the market... I know this choice might be different for everyone, but i just want to make sure i buy the right one.
I need one that is going to explain driver selection, crossover building, and measurement testing.....anyone know a book that covers all three???....thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'd also recommend "Designing, building, and Testing your own Speaker System" By david B. Weems.

It was my first book, and "The loudspeaker Design Cookbook" was my second. (everything before that was trial and error) ;)

Big difference between the two in my opinion is that the Weems one is more novice friendly (ie gives you what you need to know to build a speaker without bogging you down in lots of complex theory). The cookbook is much more technical which is good if you already have a certain level of knowledge and want to really get down to the nitty gritty but could be a bit daunting for a newbe, all depends on your preference though.

I'd suggest having a quick look at the Loudspeaker design cookbook, and if it seems alright get that, but if it looks too scary consider the weems book.

Tony.

I have : Designing, building, and Testing your own Speaker System" By david B. Weems and "Great sound stereo speaker manual" by the same auhor.

The second one (great sound...) contains most of the other book plus goes more in depth as with crossover etc...

Plus it comes with a cd and a lot of programs to calculate crossovers and specification for a lot of different drivers.

These are good recommendations, but you also will need d'Appolito's "Testing Loudspeakers" so you can learn how to gather sensible and useful data. Some of the book may be rough going unless you're comfortable with math and basic physics, but if it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.

SY said:
These are good recommendations, but you also will need d'Appolito's "Testing Loudspeakers" so you can learn how to gather sensible and useful data. Some of the book may be rough going unless you're comfortable with math and basic physics, but if it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.
If you can take the equations, Marshall Leach's book "Electroacoustics" is worth a look.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.