Horn-loaded Adire Extremis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first time playing with Hornresp, so I don't know if I got it right, but with a 100-watt input, I get a predicted output of 125 dB down to 40hz! Out of a 7" driver! Wow. (It looks like it probably stays withing excursion, too.) Predicted response is +/- 3dB from ~38hz to ~200hz--which is exactly my goal. Yay!

I'm toying with this exclusively for P.A. purposes, FYI.

The downside is that the horn mouth is 3000 square centimeters (or about 21.5" on a side) and the length of the horn would have to be 3 meters. (!)

Has anyone else modeled this driver for horn? Has anyone built an Extremis horn yet?

I've not looked at the TB offering. I think I was driven away by the combination of low power handling and low efficiency. I'll certainly give it a look now...

The actual qualifications for a good horn speaker are more in having a low Qts and factors causing higher Fs (light cone, tight suspension, etc)

Reference: http://melhuish.org/audio/horndriver.html

Looking at folding over the Extremis horn, it's absolutely huge, so I think I'll model a couple different things before I commit to a plan of action. The TB driver is next on the list...

The Extremis works very well for a direct radiating application in its size class, but is less than ideal for a horn. With a Bl of 9 it won't operate to full power to the bottom of its range into the high acoustic impedance of a horn. HornResp is fine for predicting the small signal response but it cannot predict what will happen when you put any real power into the box.

The Extremis also isn't cost effective. The TB W8-740c, which does have horn-worthy specs, runs about half the price of the Adire, and the MCM 55-2421 about a third. Either mounted in a 3.5 cubic foot folded horn can easily provide 105dB output at 28Hz with 100 watts input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.