Am I getting needlessly complex? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2005, 01:20 AM   #1
Mr Teal is offline Mr Teal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Question Am I getting needlessly complex?

I'm just in the planning stage of my next speaker project, which will be my first that's not a predesigned kit. It's quite exciting, but a little scary. As such, I'm going to be using active crossovers (either analog or digital, such as the kx project) so I can monkey with the crossover with little cost. The amp would be 6 x parallel LM4780 unit, giving about 100W into 4 ohms.

My design goals make this different from most of the 3 way projects I've seen on this board. I live in a one bedroom apartment, and my main room is ~12' x 17', with two openings on opposite ends of a 17' wall, a 6.5' opening leading to a small kitchen and a 3' opening to the enterence. My TV is in a corner of the room, on the same 12' wall as the opening to the kitchen.
Space is a major goal, the footprint of the speakers should be as small as possible. In addition, they have to be shielded. I'd like to keep the cost of drivers at under $200/speaker.

Right now I'm thinking of using an Extremis 6.8" for 200Hz and down, Dayton Reference 5" (RS125S-8) from 200Hz up to however high I can push it, and an inexpensive tweeter from there on up. The extremis would be in the Adire recommended 21L 33Hz ported enclosure.

Thing is, the Extremis seems to be good all the way up to 4 kHz with no issues. In your opinion, will the 200-3000 or so range be noticably better with the dedicated midrange? My instinct says yes, but I could use some input.
Old 24th January 2005, 01:42 AM   #2
RJ is offline RJ  United States
diyAudio Member

There are issues with the Extremis 6.8 that high.
Read through this thread for all your info;
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/dis...gi?read=332714

Hide this!Advertise here!