Dual 18's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Huge ?

That's not huge.........

This is huge:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They are the big Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre (V.O.T.T.) cabinets.

They were first designed in 1945 and went on sale in 1946 if my memory serves me correctly.

I've got two of the A2's or four of the A4's - complete with wings.
Each A4 cabinet w/ dual 15's weighs 430 pounds. In an A2 configuration they are 9 feet wide. Got good casters (with reinforced stainless steel backing plates) so they roll around pretty easy.

Bought the entire P.A. system 20 years ago out of the George Burns Theatre when it closed. Used to DJ big weddings and parties with them. Some outdoor rock concerts too.

Why? ......... Why not? I like loud music.

I'm going to laminate the horn section of the V.O.T.T.'s and am installing 400 watt JBL 2225 15" woofers in place of the original 60 watt Altec 515B's (with Alnico magnets). The cabinets are going to be stiffened up internally, and some of the volume of the box will be reduced to make the JBL drivers feel more at home.

Eight JBL Pro woofers in those boxes ought to really crank.

I'll let you know.........

Guy

That's nuthin...

Heck, that ain't nuthin!

Attachments

• thats nuthin.jpg
    thats nuthin.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 925
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Guy,

Haven't you got off your sorry @ss and veneered those yet? C'mon man we've been waiting for you to stop dilly dallying so we get to see how good they look.

Oh, and those dual 18's. In a square box? Shame on you. Why didn't you build some oversized Ubangi's?:D

Something about not having the drawings I suppose. ;)

Hope your Sunday was a good one.
Your friend,
Cal

210's

Hey Cal,

no I haven't started working on them yet. We just got a foot of snow dumped on us and it's pretty cold here. Haven't got motivated yet, but I will. Hope to have them done by spring-time.

The dual 18 cabinets sounded really good. With the VOTT's and four 18's there was all the low end you could ask for.

c-ya

Guy

woof......... woof..........

I'm having trouble making a decision.

I need to reduce the volume of each 210 box by about 9 cubic feet. This is approximately the equivalent of slicing 1 foot (of height) off of the bottom of the cabinet. Instead of being 7 feet tall it would be 6. However, I do have 4 options:

#1. Cut 1 foot (in height) off of the bottom of the box and re-assemble.

#2. Block off approx 9 cubic feet of the bottom chamber of the box.

#3. Block off approx. 9 cu. ft. and install a single 18" woofer down in the bottom chamber of the cabinet.

#4. Block off approx. 9 cu. ft. and install a large format JBL (2441 or 2446 ?) comp. driver and horn assembly. Maybe a TAD 4001 ?

Problems..........

#1. Would be easier to move and maneuver around for parties and special occasions, but might reduce the resale value of the speaker. Then again, so what?...........hopefully it will sound much better.

#2. None really. Would appear as original, but should improve low end response.

#3. Getting the voice coil of the 18" woofer in the same vertical
plane as the voice coils in the 15" JBL 2225's above. If I can't,
I do have a time-alignment feature on my Rane AC23 x-over.

#4. Same as #3. Ideally, the voice coils should be in alignment in a vertical plane. Depending on what horn / comp. driver combo, may or may not be easier than mounting an 18" woofer down there.

And here's one more wrench to throw into the equation.

Anyone that's listened to a 210 VOTT knows that the low end is
much improved if you lay it on it's side. The majority of the time the speakers will be used as part of a sound system in a music room I'm building in the back half of my garage. It's only 20' by 20' now, but will probably be 20' by 40' when I'm done.

When they're sitting at home the boxes will probably be on their side and I'll just stack them, but proper placement of a comp. driver and it's horn is critical AND the horn would have to be on it's side. When I use the system for a party or special occasion, the cabinets usually get stood upright so they can project better out into a crowd. A hi-freq. horn on it's side would sound like **** I think. You need that horizontal dispersion.

Ultimately, I think the best way to set up the high end is to have it
on a seperate 3/4" skid with an adjustable bracket to vary the tilt or angle the horn is at. Then again, having 2 15's and a big comp. driver and horn all in one cabinet would be less hassle when moved. Just plug it in and go.

Can't decide what to do. Eight 15's in these cabinets will give most people all the bass they want. Adding 2 18's for x-tra low stuff will just **** off my neighbors even more.

Decisions, decisions..................

I need a beer..................................and I don't drink (much).

Guy

RacerXtreme, I know it's not probably a solution for you, but you could use this space instead of wasting it. Just use something like 8 TC Sounds TC9 15" 2570, they will be at home with that much space.

Or you could use your JBL for 40 Hz and up, and add a driver for the LFE that would love several cubic feet.

what's on top of your speakers?

I laid my 210's on their side and built a slot car track above them.

In this photo the 4 lane 1/24th scale track was at 226 feet per lap. I eventually got it up to 240'.
Took me 14 years to build it. Each piece was nearly 40 years old - made between 1964 and 1966.

Had digital lap timing accurate to .001 sec and sound effects that played through the P.A. every time a car passed through the lights. When the race was done you'd hear audio of a huge crowd clapping.....

It was the largest privately owned track in the world.

Just sold it. It's on it's way to Santa Cruz, Bolivia.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

c-ya

Guy

Aren't computers amazing ?

$ 704 for a 15" woofer ???

Did I read the pricing correctly? $ 704.00 for each 15" woofer?

I can get four 400 watt JBL 2225's for that much $.

Eight of those 15's would cost me $ 5632. 00

Ah........................... no.

I need a new jet ski first.

Holy ****

And what's this about a minimum of 50 units ?

Guy
:bigeyes:

704$ is for a customized complete design with the box and all.

You need to contact them for pricing on woofers only, but yeah you would need to find people to order with you... ;)

So, maybe the Ascendant Audio Atlas 15 then?

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Atlas 15.htm

Atlas 15 Specs

Fs 21.5 Hz
Qms 6.56
Qes .392
Qts .37
Vas 364 L
Re 2.8 ohms
Znom 4 ohms
Xmax 18 mm
Sd 810 cm2
Mms 139 g
Vd 2.91 L
RMS Power 300 watts
BL 11.7
Spl 1W/1M 91.5 dB
Spl 2.83V/1M 95.5 dB
Le .86 mH
Cms .388 mm/N
No. .904
Cutout 14.125"
Diameter 15.5"
Depth 7.25"
Weight 24 pounds

Price $185

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.