Scanspeak ring radiator? anyone try them? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2006, 10:07 PM   #51
diyAudio Moderator

Guys, chill.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th January 2006, 10:08 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

Guys, chill.
Sorry Al, consider me chilled And I'll continue the argument no longer.
Old 13th January 2006, 12:40 AM   #53
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

As for the AVS forum, over the first 2-3 years I was there..specifically the first 2..I spoke luicidly and clearly on just about any technical issue or design idea that tickled my fancy. Depending on how aware you are of the exact posts and threads, between 5 to 7 commercially important design changes or actual fully blown products were made by other companies.

So... I stopped contributing.

Over a period of about a year or so, I went from being the 'good guy' and warming everyone's heart....to the a$$hole.

Simply because I decided to perform an act of self protection.

All this happened in or around my first 3000 or so posts.

Some of the threads where these things happend, to prevent further bleeding..I removed them completely. This, way back when the AVS forum allowed you to kill your own threads, if you started them.

The KBK moniker is a joke. I dislike it. It comes from a friend who was bugging me and gave it to me as a nickname. Since I was bothered by it and felt that it was irrational to be bothered by it..I decided to use it as a 'handle'.

I said "28 years..wow!" What I meant by that, and there was apparently a misinterpretation is: "28 years, wow..has it been that long? dang. I'm getting old."

So now, I'd like to write" Teach me something new! Please!"... KBK is being an egotistical *** again.

And that might be mis-interpreted. What I mean fully is" Please teach me something new. I want to learn something new. I am listening attentively."

What I can't figure out is why folks can sometimes take things in the worst way, instead of sitting back and looking at what a person is saying in a broader context.

And another thing, I don't come here to 'steal' or 'take'. As a matter of fact, I rarely come here at all. I personally don't know of a harder to get along with, more anal, more opinionated, and more contentious crew of people on any forum. That's not meant as a insult either. A strong stance is fine. New things don't come from the easy parts of life, they come from the hard.

And NO, I don't suffer from arrogance. I just don't feel the need to be humble. Not here, not at this time.

And maybe eventually you might find that you sometimes learn/get more from the people you don't seem to get along with.

Ok?
Old 13th January 2006, 02:18 PM   #54
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey Shin, I'm reading your thread on PC based XO's right now. Very nice.

Temporal (don't read into it) issues regarding specifically clocking systems are my big bugaboo. I never said anything specific... it is obviously..entirely possible that you got overly defensive about something that wasn't even meant or said. After the clocking is right..the rest of the circuity in terms of analog handling and software design are the big issues, it seems.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. If your filters or the filters you are using are of the right type (I don't know that much about that specific component....yet!) and the hardware has the capacity to do justice to the original signal (analog I/O and the proper word length and bit depth) that I just might enjoy it.

I've been playing with PC's longer than the term PC has been around. And I went to school for that particular technical skill, for whatever that's worth. I'm not adverse to PC's and digital hardware, I've been working with them for a very long time.

I'll likely take a shot at what you have in the thread. Once again, very nice. Thanks for the effort.

Would I transfer it to any commercial endeavor without notification or your input? Extremely unlikely in any case. The solution may end up working incredibly well, but it is not likely to be friendly enough for the average soul, no matter how well configured.

At the least, considering your responses so far, you might have an inkling of how I have felt at times, on the AVS forum. I give it all away..and suddenly..I'M the *******. WTF??

It would have to be a totally custom PC based solution. A certain PC based Video scaler comes to mind. Now THAT's a long story!!!

Having been in enough commercial ventures, I've come very unwillingly to the understanding that the invention end of things ... no matter how important that it be there in the first place, only constitutes about 10% of what it takes to get a company up and running. As the inventing and designing type - it burns my ****..but that's the reality of business models and what it takes to make one work.

I'm only on the first page, but it looks good so far!
Old 13th January 2006, 02:48 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK Hey Shin, I'm reading your thread on PC based XO's right now. Very nice.
Thanks.

There's a work in-progress which will eventually be a more complete and less diluted version than the 'A how to for a PCXO' thread. You can find it here, though bear in mind that there's plenty more to be added:

http://www.duffroomcorrection.com/wiki/User:ShinOBIWAN

There's also a whole host of information including the point when I was first introduced to the concepts by RyanC and Vil, all this is in a speaker project thread that I started. I've linked straight to the part where it gets interesting and the dicussion continues over several pages:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...032#post650032

Quote:
Temporal (don't read into it) issues regarding specifically clocking systems are my big bugaboo. I never said anything specific... it is obviously..entirely possible that you got overly defensive about something that wasn't even meant or said. After the clocking is right..the rest of the circuity in terms of analog handling and software design are the big issues, it seems.
Doesn't matter now anyway, I was just confused as to your change of heart.

Quote:
Anyway, back to the subject at hand. If your filters or the filters you are using are of the right type (I don't know that much about that specific component....yet!) and the hardware has the capacity to do justice to the original signal (analog I/O and the proper word length and bit depth) that I just might enjoy it.
The filters are FIR linear phase types, though there are many such windowing functions/coefficients that can be discribed as such and some are better than others for the task at hand.
Points of note are: Essentially all FIR filters display ripple throughout the passband whether this is intrusive or not depend entirely on the type of FIR filter you use.
Its all a balancing act and in simple terms there's two things that you have to balance. One is the order of the slopes vs. the passband ripple noise floor. Use an FIR window that allows very steep slopes (150dB+) will mean a higher noise floor in the passband (~ -60dB) or conversely, using a more FIR window that maybe allows 96dB/octave slopes will get you around -100dB of ripple rejection.
FIR filters also become increasingly complex and more CPU cycle intensive as the lower frequencies and/or higher order slopes are used.

I use the Waves LinearEQ filter and this has around 110-120dB of rejection and I guess you could call this the signal to noise ratio of the filter.

Quote:
Would I transfer it to any commercial endeavor without notification or your input? Extremely unlikely in any case. The solution may end up working incredibly well, but it is not likely to be friendly enough for the average soul, no matter how well configured.
There has been many folks involved in the method I prefer for DRC & XO's. Perhaps Vil and RyanC most importantly but I expect they got the idea's from others too.

The method I use is based around 3rd party plugins and hardware. To create a complete and integrated solution using equivalent technology would either take an R&D budget of thousands or many months of hardwork. The outcome would be a niche product that would only appeal to the hardcore.

Regarding ease of use; its pretty much a real mess to the untrained eye and certainly not plug it and forget type solution, though after the initial setup headaches it is. This was my main reason for writting so much about it all since I firmly believe its the best sound I've heard and hope that others can share that too. If it was merely good I really wouldn't have gone to the trouble or expense to properly implement it.

Quote:
It would have to be a totally custom PC based solution. A certain PC based Video scaler comes to mind. Now THAT's a long story!!!
FFdshow is dying off now in light of VMR9 hardware rendering. I use a 7800 and have abandoned ffdshow altogether.

Hide this!Advertise here!