Scanspeak ring radiator? anyone try them? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2005, 06:22 PM   #21
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Boy, that post sure had lots to do with the scanspeak ring radiator. I found it quite informative.
Old 27th January 2005, 06:10 PM   #22
RHosch is offline RHosch  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan
If a driver could be pushed in and take a minute to return it suggests a leaky box. A sealed box would act as a pure spring and instantly bounce the cone out again.
You're absolutely correct Pan. Once again an example of KBK talking pseudo-tech talk but completely missing the boat on very basic principles of physics and engineering that thousands of people with an IQ of only 100 can understand... let alone someone with KBK's self proclaimed IQ of 200 or so.
Old 27th January 2005, 06:35 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Another possibility is that he meant that the cone keeps oscillating for a long time (which is how I understood it). Maybe I'm wrong. But is that even possible?

Also, a volume of enclosed air (at room temperature and pressure) is basically a perfect spring, as it follows the ideal gas laws. I don't see how it's non-linear.
Old 27th January 2005, 09:29 PM   #24
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

"Also, a volume of enclosed air (at room temperature and pressure) is basically a perfect spring, as it follows the ideal gas laws. I don't see how it's non-linear."

Absolutely not. Air has non symmetric behaviour at the compression and rarefaction phase. Remember we are not talking static properties here when we deal with music which is periodic movement of air.

The air adds 2nd order (mainly) harmonics to the soundwave on itīs way from whatever source that makes the sound and this also happens in acoustic suspension designs and to a lesser degree "infinite baffle" designs.

This very fact can be one explanation why some argue that even order harmonic distortion sounds more natural and pleasing than odd order. Nelson Pass used this as an argument when launching the Aleph series of power amps.

I canīt really understand why KBK act as he does. He bring up "off topic" stuff and when someone take up that line it ****es him off..hmm. Guess itīs just to painfull to get the pants pulled down in public... being a pro and all...

/Peter
Old 27th January 2005, 09:34 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Guys, lets keep to the topic, and avoid the personal stuff please.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th January 2005, 02:16 AM   #26
Hans L is offline Hans L  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5th element
Dont forget about bafflestep in your MTM, if you have 90db drivers you will end up with 90dB after you factor in BS. So a super high efficiency tweeter must likely will not be required.
Just to make sure that message came through...

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Boy, that post sure had lots to do with the scanspeak ring radiator. I found it quite informative.
Here's a post about the SS7000: don't use it in a 2-way: it doesn't perform very well if crossed over lowish.

The MDT-33 is a superb choice for an MTM and can be crossed very low. So is the SS9700 crossed at 2KHz or higher (which I prefer over the 9900). Hiquphon is also considered a very good tweeter and for its size (3/4") it handles lowish XO (4th order acoustic @ 2200Hz and up) very well, unlike the overly expensive ringrad. I would also have a look at Accuton. I bought a pair of C23's not too long ago (it's seems like it's going to be a long wait untill the new models are released) and I'm extremely pleased with it. Can also be crossed very low.

What kind of filtering do you have in mind? If low order i very important to you, I would go for the Morel or the Accuton. SS9500 is also a good option for low order slopes (a little better than 9700 in this regard), but the other two sound more accurate, in particular the Accuton. All of them can handle loads of power... I have used all three tweeters, as well as the Hiquphon. The other, I have auditioned in one or two designs.
Old 28th January 2005, 10:57 AM   #27
sbolin is offline sbolin  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Hans - excellent post. Have you used or heard the Accuton C2-12 or C2-13 (is it even out yet?)? I would be interested in that.
Old 28th January 2005, 02:34 PM   #28
Hans L is offline Hans L  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sbolin
Hans - excellent post. Have you used or heard the Accuton C2-12 or C2-13 (is it even out yet?)? I would be interested in that.
Thank you. The C12 is also a very fine tweeter. I'm not sure wether there is much difference in treble quality between the C12 and the C23 even if some graphs/plots lokk a little better. I've heard a few ppl say the C12 is better, but haven't personally A-B'd them, only heard them seperate of eachother. The C23 however is much more flexible and very suitable for 2-way for instance. TTBOMK the C13 isn't out yet.
Old 29th January 2005, 12:49 AM   #29
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK. thanks for the info on the Accuton, and the like. I definitiely like what I hear in the Morel. Time to increase the size of the 'reject' tweeter pile again! I'll try out some of the tweeters you mention.

What do you guys think about the idea of,hmm..possibly good old conventional LCR filtering/XO'ing of speaker systems (specifically at the high end) becoming a thing of the past? With all thse interesting Digital crossover devices starting to appear, with 192khz I/O (AD/DA)? For example, the DEQX? I'm thinking of grabbing one, and rebuilding it. see what it can really do....

Pan: As for such comments (by people responding to a post of mine), they are usually done with such vitrol, I don't realy have a chance to make a comment furthur ie, respond), without that being pursued as some sort 'point of attack'. Personally, I think it might be nice to speak to people or rather more correctly, converse with them, as opposed to attack. Not everyone has the same mode or style of expression. I tend to speak as the 'muse' affects me, ie, stream of conciousness expressed as conversation. It isn't always right..but when it is.... I accept your mode of expression, please consider that of others?

As for me getting my pants pulled down in public, I've never minded that. But when you are in a business with other people in it, suddenly the marrige prevents you from you being your full self.

As for boxes and seal quality, just about anything we like to call a box... leaks. Any box I've dealt with, that is supposedly sealed in nature, as far less of a seal quality that I'd call 'optimal'. As for furthur explainations, etc.. I was honoured with about 4 phone calls about my presence on this site, and my posts in general.

Enough said.......
Old 29th January 2005, 04:50 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Completely off topic but I wonder what film this is from

Courtesy of the Goo website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg just_hi-fi_screen.jpg (23.6 KB, 455 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!