Morel versus Seas, Vifa, Dynaudio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2005, 12:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Morel versus Seas, Vifa, Dynaudio

I am a newbie and I want to build my first speakers, a 2-way bookshelf. I am currently investigating some drivers (tweeters and mids) and ran into some manufacturers. Morel's factory happens to be a 20 min. ride from my house so it's not a problem for me to get their stock. My question is, how are morel drivers (the mid-high level drivers they produce) compared to Seas, Vifa Dynaudio or Audax? which one is better? because it seems that while Morel's line is a bit expensive (MDT series) ,Seas appears to have decent prices and so as Vifa.

any recomendations everyone?
Old 18th January 2005, 01:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Snickers-is
I am personally impressed by the performance of Seas drivers. I think the Seas paper woofers and midranges are outstanding.

But how about considering a ribbon for your tweeter?
Old 18th January 2005, 01:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to botrytis
Well, there are two Morel's. The one that sells speakers through PartsExpress and other places is actually located in Isreal. MorelUsa - I don't know anything about their drivers - although they were being sued by Morel for using the name.

Dave
Old 18th January 2005, 02:11 PM   #4
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Morel versus Seas, Vifa, Dynaudio

As for Morel vs. Dynaudio there is not so much difference because most of the Morel drivers were copies of Dynaudios anyway. Their newer drivers are designed in-house though but with same design philosophy in mind.
Morel MDT 30, 32, and especially their well regarded MDT 33 tweeters are very good, much better than most Seas, Vifa or Audax units (not counting the much more expensive Seas Exel and Millenium or Vifa’s ringradiator perhaps).
With woofers the competition is tougher of course and the choice is broader.
But, Morel’s woofers are/were used in some very expensive commercial systems like Eggleston Works, Duntech, Merlin
So as for one’s first two-way bookshelf I wouldn’t hesitate choosing MDT30 tweeter and MW164 woofer in sealed box.

PS. By the way, I have always wanted to know if word Morel carries any meaning in Hebrew?

Regards,

Argo
Old 18th January 2005, 02:23 PM   #5
bigerik is offline bigerik  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snickers-is
I am personally impressed by the performance of Seas drivers. I think the Seas paper woofers and midranges are outstanding.

Just having worked with the Seas paper woofers myself, I second his comment. Awesome sounding woofer, especially for the price.

Erik

Note to Argo: Tere! Tore naha eestlasi ka siin!
Old 18th January 2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I understood Dynaudio's technology was actually a spin off from Morels work (hexatech voicecoil wire etc). Namesake bickering aside Morel do some cracking products, I've used a few of their tweets and always found them to give a nice natural sound (I would prefer Morel to Seas from the limited tweets I've heard). I'm currently running a pair of very small monitors using a 4.5" morel (USA) midbass and neo tweet, tonally they are excellent and the imaging is sublime especially off axis (due to small mid not beaming). Their only failing is the absence of much under 70Hz but a good sub sorts that out.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Morel, but then I know Vifa do some nice tweets for good money, Seas have some lovely midbasses (I find their tweets a bit edgy, artificially airy)
Old 18th January 2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Morel versus Seas, Vifa, Dynaudio

Quote:
Originally posted by argo
PS. By the way, I have always wanted to know if word Morel carries any meaning in Hebrew?
Yes, in Israel they're sold as "Rebel" tweeters

Cal
Old 18th January 2005, 10:49 PM   #8
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Puggie
I understood Dynaudio's technology was actually a spin off from Morels work (hexatech voicecoil wire etc). Namesake bickering aside Morel do some cracking products, I've used a few of their tweets and always found them to give a nice natural sound (I would prefer Morel to Seas from the limited tweets I've heard). I'm currently running a pair of very small monitors using a 4.5" morel (USA) midbass and neo tweet, tonally they are excellent and the imaging is sublime especially off axis (due to small mid not beaming). Their only failing is the absence of much under 70Hz but a good sub sorts that out.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Morel, but then I know Vifa do some nice tweets for good money, Seas have some lovely midbasses (I find their tweets a bit edgy, artificially airy)
As some one said earlier, Dynaudio was the original and Morel liscensed the use of the Dynaudio designs back in the early 1980's.
Old 19th January 2005, 06:20 AM   #9
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Since Morel is 20 min away I would consider Morel drivers. However there are few kits with Morel woofers AND tweeters. As a starter system Argo's recomendation (MW164/MDT30) is quite good.

As a beginner I'd first make up a budget kit.
Under $400 (incl rcabinets) here are a few options
SEAS: http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker12.html
Madisound's Cygnet Mk2
Zalytron's Budget 106
Solen's Vifa Premium
Old 19th January 2005, 07:46 AM   #10
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigerik

Note to Argo: Tere! Tore naha eestlasi ka siin!
Tere, tere! Veel toredam eesti keelt suure lombi tagant kuulda. Siin nii mõnedki kaasmaalased veel ringi uitamas. Kui tohib küsida, kuidas endal eesti keel suus on, kas ise või vanemad kunagi sinna rändanud?

Tervitades,

Argo

Hide this!Advertise here!