Morel versus Seas, Vifa, Dynaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbie and I want to build my first speakers, a 2-way bookshelf. I am currently investigating some drivers (tweeters and mids) and ran into some manufacturers. Morel's factory happens to be a 20 min. ride from my house so it's not a problem for me to get their stock. My question is, how are morel drivers (the mid-high level drivers they produce) compared to Seas, Vifa Dynaudio or Audax? which one is better? because it seems that while Morel's line is a bit expensive (MDT series) ,Seas appears to have decent prices and so as Vifa.

any recomendations everyone?

As for Morel vs. Dynaudio there is not so much difference because most of the Morel drivers were copies of Dynaudios anyway. Their newer drivers are designed in-house though but with same design philosophy in mind.
Morel MDT 30, 32, and especially their well regarded MDT 33 tweeters are very good, much better than most Seas, Vifa or Audax units (not counting the much more expensive Seas Exel and Millenium or Vifa’s ringradiator perhaps).
With woofers the competition is tougher of course and the choice is broader.
But, Morel’s woofers are/were used in some very expensive commercial systems like Eggleston Works, Duntech, Merlin
So as for one’s first two-way bookshelf I wouldn’t hesitate choosing MDT30 tweeter and MW164 woofer in sealed box.

PS. By the way, I have always wanted to know if word Morel carries any meaning in Hebrew?

Regards,

Argo

I understood Dynaudio's technology was actually a spin off from Morels work (hexatech voicecoil wire etc). Namesake bickering aside Morel do some cracking products, I've used a few of their tweets and always found them to give a nice natural sound (I would prefer Morel to Seas from the limited tweets I've heard). I'm currently running a pair of very small monitors using a 4.5" morel (USA) midbass and neo tweet, tonally they are excellent and the imaging is sublime especially off axis (due to small mid not beaming). Their only failing is the absence of much under 70Hz but a good sub sorts that out.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Morel, but then I know Vifa do some nice tweets for good money, Seas have some lovely midbasses (I find their tweets a bit edgy, artificially airy)

Puggie said:
I understood Dynaudio's technology was actually a spin off from Morels work (hexatech voicecoil wire etc). Namesake bickering aside Morel do some cracking products, I've used a few of their tweets and always found them to give a nice natural sound (I would prefer Morel to Seas from the limited tweets I've heard). I'm currently running a pair of very small monitors using a 4.5" morel (USA) midbass and neo tweet, tonally they are excellent and the imaging is sublime especially off axis (due to small mid not beaming). Their only failing is the absence of much under 70Hz but a good sub sorts that out.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Morel, but then I know Vifa do some nice tweets for good money, Seas have some lovely midbasses (I find their tweets a bit edgy, artificially airy)
As some one said earlier, Dynaudio was the original and Morel liscensed the use of the Dynaudio designs back in the early 1980's.

Since Morel is 20 min away I would consider Morel drivers. However there are few kits with Morel woofers AND tweeters. As a starter system Argo's recomendation (MW164/MDT30) is quite good.

As a beginner I'd first make up a budget kit.
Under $400 (incl rcabinets) here are a few options
SEAS: http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker12.html
Madisound's Cygnet Mk2
Zalytron's Budget 106
Solen's Vifa Premium

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
From LDSG dirver guidlines http://ldsg.snippets.org/vendors/morel.php3

I haven't received as much feedback about Morel as for some other vendors, but what I have received was all positive - some bordering on fanatically so. This isn't surprising since Morel licenses some of its technology from Dynaudio, another vendor which elicits extreme opinions (Morel and Dynaudio, in turn, both license some technology from Scan-Speak). Morel's units all look quite good - although hardly exceptional - on paper, so apparently they're doing something right. Probably, their apparent emphasis on power handling and linearity deserve most of the credit.

I guess the emphasis is on SOME of their technology :)

I just bought some morel MW144's and DMS37's to make an MTM..... the 144's sound quite good simply mounted on the baffle (I made a test baffle only 75mm wide and hadn't made the box yet) running full range, with a 6.8uF cap on the tweeter.... no bass of course, and a little harsh in the upper part of the midrange, but I must say I was impressed at the sound considering the complete lack of a proper operating environment ;)

Now I just need some more time to do some proper testing in box, and start working on a crossover!!!

Tony.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The MW144 is a great favourite of mine, and possibly, (IMHO), now the best driver in its price range. A chippie friend of mine has just built some speakers with them and the MD32s on my recommendation, and though the crossover needs a little more tweaking, they sound absolutely stunning. Next time I'm over there I'll get some pics.

Pinkmouse

What do you think to the MDT-30/32? I'm considering running a pair with my Volt BM220.8s, I need a tweet that is capable of dropping low (2.2k Xover). I was thinking of running the MDT-33se but can't really justify the cost at the moment, I'm also looking at Visaton ribbons too (Wilmslow Classique/Deccavolt style).

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
The MW144 is a great favourite of mine, and possibly, (IMHO), now the best driver in its price range. A chippie friend of mine has just built some speakers with them and the MD32s on my recommendation, and though the crossover needs a little more tweaking, they sound absolutely stunning. Next time I'm over there I'll get some pics.

Hi PinkMouse,
:D that's the first really positive feedback I have had on them, I decided to buy them based on research alone, after being warned off the focal 6W4311B (which is what I was originally thinking of using) This will be my first project designing my own crossover, and the focals are apparently a bit hard to tame!

Do you know what volume he used for the cabinets? after measuring all the drivers and averaging their T/S params I get about 6L (5L being recommended elsewhere) for a Q of .707. have made a test box with 6.6L cavities, yet to mount the drivers in it and give it a try!!!

Tony.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Tony:

Well, we used 5.5l ! Your 6.6 box could easily be tweaked by adding blocks to try different volumes and you might find a volume you prefer.
The crossover is fairly straightforward, so will be a good project to get going with, and it will be interesting to see how much it looks like my design.

Puggie:

I had never thought of those two units together. The Volt/ribbon combination is well tried, but the 32 does go low quite well. Both drivers are relatively smooth, so you should be able to get by with a low order crossover as well. Sounds like a fun project, and easily upgradable when you get the 33s.

I built a 2-way closed bookshelf type system using Morel units about 8 years ago, and I'm still using it (although I did build some low-end extension cabinets). I like the units (and the system) very much. My system uses a MW-164 and a MDT-32 (although originally MDT-29) in a 11 liter closed box. F3 is somewhere around 60Hz (of course with the LF cabinets somewhat lower, say 27Hz).
It uses a very simple crossover, strictly 1st order with some impedance and level correction.

Regards,

Jarno.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
Tony:

Well, we used 5.5l ! Your 6.6 box could easily be tweaked by adding blocks to try different volumes and you might find a volume you prefer.
The crossover is fairly straightforward, so will be a good project to get going with, and it will be interesting to see how much it looks like my design.

Yep I decided to go a bit bigger on the test box for that reason :) just need to find the time to do some testing!!! 6.6 L is without any bracing or lining, so it will come down a bit as I add things and see what effect they have :)

This is my mockup/test baffle it was mostly to test the circle cutting jig I made, and sus out driver mounting depths, I have recessed the tweeter back a bit and rounded over the edges, not sure what diffraction effects that might have but will hopefully find out soon now I have my mic preamp sorted. did this because the DMS37 when mated with the MW144 is time aligned if the tweeter is flush mount and the MW144 is surface mounted, but I wanted to flush mount the MW144.... I got the info about the time alignment from Terry Paget who designed the MDT/DMS37 tweeter specifically with time alignment in mind.

he (Terry) has his own version of the MDT33 which looks like an MDT37, which he designed but is not commercially available :( morel make it exclusively for him.

The test box is made from 25mm MDF but unfortunately my baffle is only 16mm MDF as that is what my dad had lying around (he has all the tools, router, triton workbench etc, but is unfortunately 7 hours drive away). I never originally intended to use this baffle, but when I got back home, found a good place that sold and cut MDF and got them to cut the bits I needed for a test box....

this baffle is 175mm wide at the moment but the final one I think will be 180mm with chamfered corners, as opposed to the rough roundover job on this one ;)

Sorry starting to thread jack here, if you want to move it pinkmouse feel free :)

Tony.

edit: oh and the top of the baffle is a bit taller cause we didn't measure it, just hacked it off :p

Attachments

• morel speakers.jpg
    morel speakers.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 657
I'm from Israel also.
Morel release new High End line "HU". I think is the best that morel making ever...

Because you looking for build only one pair or loudspeakers and you not a manufacturer or something... The morel is the best way for you. To buy the Seas / Dynaudio / Scan Speak... you must import them to Israel and pay 15% TAX + 17% VAT and add the shipping price... Not very cheap.

I'm try the Morel and Seas.
The Morel sounding warm duly the Seas Excel sounding more spacious. Both good and make driver in same quality...

The advantage with morel is that you can work with 1 st order without any problem and they sound very good!
The seas (Excel) is more difficult to design the crossover because the break-up of the driver.

The MDT 30 is very nice, and the MDT 33 is very good, but the Supreme 110 is the best that you can got in this price here (I like it a little over from Seas MILLENNIUM!)

Regarding to woofers, The new HU 631 with Hybrid magnet is amazing woofer, I love the sound over from the Seas W18E.

HU 631 + MDT 33 in 12-14 Liter box give to you very good sound, Try it.

Good luck brother.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.