How to mount the Fountek JP-2.0 5" tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I created a rectangular cutout the same dimensions of the inner part of the ribbon, then used a 1/2" rabbetting bit and routed it out. I then put the ribbon on the baffle upside down and traced out the outer part of the ribbon and used an Exacto knife to slowly cut it away until it fit perfectly. Took about an hour!

Next time I decided to cut out the inner circle 1/8" larger length and width. Rabbetted again but man, it came out a little too big. I now have 2 front baffles for my line arrays and one Fountek cutout is too big. I'm thinking of starting over.

Anyone know the best method for mounting these? They're a nightmare in my book LoL! Or, do you think (this may sound cheezy) I could mount the tweeter, cover it with plastic and use wood filler or bondo in the oversized part, then sand it down so it will be an extremely tight fit? Just throwing an idea out :)

Thanks!

If you are contemplating Bondo then you will probably be painting or veneering at the least yes?

Mix you up some bondo for the hole that's too big. Place some saran wrap around the tweeter. Mash the tweeter into the hole, displacing the bondo. Wait until it starts to set up a little (couple minutes) and pull the tweeter. Xacto blade gets it flush with the rest of the panel *before* the bondo gets too hard to cut. BANG now it's a perfect fit!

If you really like it, try the other one the same way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.