Gale GS401

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just realized that speaker should stand on the longer side. Comparing to modern speakers “laid “ on the side.
Where they all with the stands or you just put them on the floor?
They are like ‘central’ speakers at surround systems, aren’t they?
I recalculate front mounting plate only and would appreciate if you check my picture.
Specially front panel measurements, without ¾” thick cabinet walls.
They look very unpractical for keeping them in the small rooms (if you keep them as you should –side way). I found this on the Web http://www.nanson.ch/features/2005/gale.html
Hope that he is going to update site. It promises to be art project.
Unfortunately my woofers where in bad shape and I recone using Kevlar cones and rubber surroundings , so they want be classical restoration and update.
Do you have idea how much they worth today?

Thanks

Yep, those are exactly as they should appear. Matter of fact, I have the exact same model as shown in the picture.

The GALE speaker company is now based in Tawian, and they do not offer any thing for the 401's to my knowledge, however, the mids are available from previous links posted here in this thread and you could recone your woofers to their original configuration via the same links I previously mentioned- I believe kits are available from England, but I do not know exactly from whom, I left that to the speaker re-builder.

A very good replacement for the woofers are the Madisound Silver Flute Wool Cone 8" drivers- they are drop in replacements and have nearly the same build parameters. The same mid-range driver was also used in 70ish Allen organ speakers, and a few other higher end/industrial designs, the tweeter is an Allison, which is widely available on ebay - I believe it to have been actually made by SEAS, but I am not sure on this.

I suppose one could change the drivers placement with in the front baffle, maybe center align all the drivers for vertical placement rather than horiziontal placement, but then they wouldn't be Gales any longer would they? More of an MTM with a mid-range installed. However, they may be much more practical for some users in your proposed configuration. You wont know unless you give it a try- build two front baffles, one of each design, and allow for it to be removable/interchangable with the use of a gasket and screws, then you will know for sure which design you prefer.

Eventually, I plan to use mine for upper and lower center channels in my HT set up, all be it they are very-very good all out music monitors as well. Even so, You might be very supprized, they produce very good bass for their size and stature, and will play very high SPL if feed good clean power from a well designed amplifer.

Gale -made in ...

How come that there is Gale’s made in England and other made in USA??
Is there any difference?
I read somewhere that some people have GS 401 with “power handling 100W” while all the others 200Watts?
For some reason all my post are checked first and I don’t know if I can post pictures. I found couple interesting things.
I will keep Kevlar membranes and original box design. Maybe just some different shape of front grill .
Somehow believe that if I change box it would be bad.

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 670
One more question.Please can you help me with this two dimensions?
what are dimensions A and B , from my picture?
I didn't get it.Because this part for the front grill mask looks much biger than 1/2".
Please help.
Thanks

Attachments

• gale 401 depth.jpg
    gale 401 depth.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 639
Sorry, I cant help with that mesurement, I have the 401 C version and mine do not have that over hang on the cabinent. However, I am willing to bet my previous mesurements I gave you are the same as your cabninets, just no Grill over hang as you have in your picture, therefore that mesurement is moot.

Alpha

hey Bez, are you refering to a wire wound 10watt like this one? or, some other type of resistor?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=016-5K

or one could use these to up the power curve I presume?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=017-2K

and

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=016-1K

presumably, one could replace the old pots with these- http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=023-520&scqty=4 However, I am not sure if 1/2 a watt would suffice in that circut path. The original Gales use a ceramic pot, so correct me if I am wrong, but the above probly wouldnt work at high power levels- they would probly burn out.

I also wonder if standard 10% caps would be a good replacement?

Hi All,

I re-built my Dad's Gale GS401c's (shown in my sig) about 10 years ago. I used peerless replacement drive units from Wilmslow audio and replaced all the caps. I also took the mid and trebble adjusters out and fitted new cable throughout the box, one of the main incomming cables to the crossover is only about 1 mm thick in the original installation!!

Initially i was worred that the speakers would loose their characheter after the mod, as the new drive units look very different from the originals. This was not the case, they sound almost identical. The parts cost just over 300 pounds, which was incrdible vfm considering what you could buy new for that money, but it did take a whole day.

My advice if anybody is contemplating this would be to get all new parrallel thread driver mounting screws with metal threaded inserts on the inside of the box. The metal inserts with a wide area would be best, as the chipboard baffle is very weak.

We use a Quad 405 I for driving them, they make this powerful amp sound weak, anything less would not be ideal IMO. A cheap driving solution would be two Quad 405 II's, one for each channel.

Also, they really need a pre-amp with a bass control, the bass from the speaker itself can very easily become overblown if they are near a wall or corner.

DIY GALE 401

Hi,

My GALE project started and now I am in fear that I may be expelled from Gale “club”.
I rebuild woofers myself unfortunately membranes where in such bad shape that I change them also for Kevlar ones. Mid speakers where rebuild by technicians from Radio Belgrade (National radio station), but they used different shape of foam surroundings. They painted paper cones for me also, all service cost me about 15 Euro or 18 $ for pair. Crossovers will be restored as well by same people from Radio Belgrade (I’m from Serbia).They are very experienced and thru the years they serviced all kind of professional equipment and I trust their judgment completely.
I ‘m building boxes from mdf. Front plate will be 1 ¼ “(3.2 mm) thick mdf, hope that this will help with additional stiffness. Depth of boxes is increased by ½” because of the thicker new front.
Now I’m not so sure, my project instead of being Gale GS401 from 21st Century may end as bubo job. Any comments or opinions are welcome.

Attachments

• gale svi skretnica.jpg
    gale svi skretnica.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 526
Gale 401 Loudspeakers

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but do own a pair of Gale 401s, 'C' with chrome caps. Near the village where I live is a small Hi-Fi Shack called Wilmslow Audio. Firstly these guys know their stuff and secondly they know how good 401's can be and do a 'full' referb kit for them. https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/catalog/
They are great loudspeakers and should never go to waste. P.S. a crimson electronic amp really does the job but I doubt there are any about now!! :( Good Listening..

I've been in the 401s chrome club for a few years now, since they were 'donated' by my dad. I remember growing up to these set up in the front room, Meridian monoblock sitting behind each one, playing his records on the SP12.

I've been using the donated 401s & donated Meridians power & pre-amp which i believe was the preferred original set-up.

I think time has come for both the amps to be serviced, and for the speakers to have a little tweak. They've never been opened in the 30 or so years, they still sound good, though i believe the sound may have gradually lost some of it's edge.

Whilst i can use a soldering iron, may need some help with those cross-overs.

metallised paper capacitors for Gale GS401A

Bez said:
I also highly recommend replacing the capacitors on the crossover as the original metalised ones tend to deteriorate with age. Use good quality polypropylene ones of the same value from SCR or Hovland.

Bypass the two fuses on the crossover as these are not necessary with good quality modern amps. Replace the two small mid and treble volume controls with 5k ceramic resistors – these are probably causing the drop-outs, and tend to degrade the sound somewhat

Unless you are keen to keep the original overall package, discard the purpose-made chrome tube stands as these are not good.

In the UK all the above components are available from www.wilmslowaudio.com who are very helpful with advice etc. [/B]

hi Bez,

do you know the replacement reference for the ERIE metallised paper "big" capacitors? (one is 4 MFD and the other 6, both at 150V)
I have already sent an email to wilmslowaudio, but i'm waiting for an answer...

kind regards from Paris

Thanks to everyone for posted info. Ive owned a pair of Gs401 with chrome ends for around 17 years and frankly nothing i've heard can touch them. Ive used various amps through the years but now use an 8 watt, yes 8 watt, single ended 300b valve amp with them. I cant even explain the joy of what I hear, hear. I dont need loud, loud. This is it. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.