bi-amping (active crossover) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2005, 01:04 PM   #11
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Is there anyone who can help me with those questions?
Old 28th January 2005, 01:25 PM   #12
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Try looking up Elliot sound products (ESP).
His articles give a good background and he has 2 or 3 projects that could be suited to you needs.
There are many other sites with good design info to allow you to assess pre-made products.
regards Andrew T.
Old 28th January 2005, 01:40 PM   #13
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

keyser,
as long as you are dealing with an ANALOG active x-over (I use Behringer CX 2300) you can do exactly as you proposed. My amplifiers are NAD, that can be split between pre- and poweramp.

If you want to use a DIGITAL active x-over (like the Behringer Ultracurve), you have to look for the best way to attenuate sound levels. Itīs no good idea to do that before the x-over.
Old 28th January 2005, 01:55 PM   #14
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks Rudolf,

I bought a Behringer 2310 through e-bay. Guess that's the follow up of your 2300. What loudspeakers do you have, and how does the 24db/oct. alter the sound? Is the sound still coherent?
Do you know which parts of the passive crossover in my speakers I should disconnect?
I guess i should remove the filter that sits before the woofers. And as the Behringer already has a high-pass (I think I'll cross @ 300 hertz for my Canton RC-L's), I think I could also remove the High pass for the midrange driver and the tweeter.
Then the only passive parts I'll still be using are the bandpass for the midrange driver, and the high pass for the tweeter. Right?
Old 28th January 2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

If you take out the high-pass for the mid (which you should do) then it will be a low-pass not a band-pass.
Old 28th January 2005, 08:32 PM   #16
Konrad is offline Konrad  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
If you take out the high-pass for the mid (which you should do) then it will be a low-pass not a band-pass.

Dont forget the hipass (at abt 300 Hz was suggested) is already done in the active crossover.
Old 28th January 2005, 10:03 PM   #17
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

keyser

sorry for the typo - my Behringer is a 2310 too. Iīm crossing between Visaton W250 woofers(http://www.visaton.de/english/artikel/art_645_1_19.html) in H-dipoles and Veravox 3 FR speakers (http://www.cantare-as.de/templates/images/veravox3.jpg). x-over is @200hz, which is right in the middle of the H-baffle resonance and one oct above fs of the veravox. I never had a passive x-over for this combination, so canīt compare. But with the modest speaker values in mind (~110 Euro per side), imaging, coherence and disappearence of the speakers is quite impressive.

Regarding your passive x-overs you should try to post the schematics here. There are people more knowledgeable than me on this forum to decide about that.

Rudolf

Hide this!Advertise here!