Tweet/mid flush mounting - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Tweet/mid flush mounting

I'm planning a D'Appolito style floorstander, I now have my drivers, Morel MDT-20 (ceramic magnet soft dome tweet) and Audax AP100Z0 (4.5" aerogel midbass). I'm going for a long thin ported box which looks fine (I've un the model in Bass Box Pro and MJK's MLQWT mathcad model and get very similar results so I'm happy with that).

My question is with the mid/tweet mounting I need to flush mount the tweet to reduce reflections, that is not a problem, I'm intending to cross them over about 2kHz (4th order LR low pass and 2nd order Butterworth or LR highpass). How far apart do the mids want to be bearing in mind the tweet has a 4" diameter face plate? I was planning on flush mounting the tweet and mounting the mids on the surface with the edge of the mids overlapping the tweet. Now this gives me a nice close pair of mids (5.5-6" apart) but will the edge of the mids which is sat on the tweeter face plate cause difraction/reflection problems for the tweet? My main reason to flush mount the tweet and surface mount the mids is to time-align the cones better and IMHO it looks good.

What are peoples opinions?
Old 17th January 2005, 04:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Zaph has done some measuring of the effects of flush mounting, and there are some graphs that cover the case of overlapping drivers so you can get an idea of the effects. It doesn't look too bad really.

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/mtg-surface.html

That Audax driver has a flange just over .25 inches thick (7 mm) by the way, according the the Audax spec sheet..

As to how critical the spacing is, I've heard it said that if you keep it under one wavelength you're generally fine. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what some people say. 2000 Hz gives you 6.75" to work with.

There are almost certainly folks on this board with more information and different opinions though.
Old 17th January 2005, 05:53 PM   #3
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link,

IMHO looks like the gains from aligning the voicecoils and getting the drivers close together will outweigh the possible side effects. Either way the drivers in question are hardly the height of high fidelity, I'm sure they will be fine

anyone else care to comment
Old 17th January 2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Banned

The 1 wavelength assumption is correct but not carved in stone; D'Appolito exceeded it himself in his Thor TL. To be safe just pack them as tight as you can.

Hide this!Advertise here!