why all the work? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2005, 07:03 PM   #1
rv1890 is offline rv1890  Armenia
diyAudio Member

Default why all the work?

Im still relatively new to this forum and I am beginning to get verryyyy interested in this hobby. I have a question though...The most daunting task seems like its creating the crossover. Most people have simple 2 way loudspeaker systems and are talking about crossing over at 1kHZ, 2.5kHz, 3Khz....and and just about everything number there is.....Is there not a standard 2 way crossover that can be built that is adjustable. I see that the crossover is built using resisitors, inductors, and capacitors...can I not place a potentiometer or an adjustable knob of some sort that can adjust the crossover fequency to what I specifically need. .....Basically what Im asking is....Is there a crossover that can be built that I can attach to my loudspeaker enclosure with a couple knobs where I can adjust the frequency for the 6"woofer and the 1" tweeter (or whatever size they may be)?.....

This way if I move the loudseaker enclosure to another room that has different acoustics I can adjust and it will sound good in any room....If anybody has something liuke this can you please send me the link of where I can get one or build one......Also I dont want to get anyone confused with a crossover like the Behringer CX3400...that one I guess requires a multiple amp audio system and I do not want that.....Something that is similiar to the schmatic crossovers being built...but adjustable......I hope this is possible....thanks for the knowledge..
Old 14th January 2005, 07:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Mid to tweet crossovers don't need to be adjusted for varying room acoustics.
Old 14th January 2005, 07:32 PM   #3
rv1890 is offline rv1890  Armenia
diyAudio Member

Well then is there a crososver that is adjustable so there will not be a need for measuring and testing for optimally crossover frequency?.....Obviously testing for a perfect crossover frequency is the best thing....but I would like to know if there is a possible way to make it adjustable.....So i can build the loudspeaker enclosure...builf the crossover and then sit back and listne and adjust it???..
Old 14th January 2005, 07:32 PM   #4
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

But they do need some trial and error to get right.
Unfortunately you need to adjust the inductors and/or caps also.
I have found that one tends to collect enough parts over time to swap them in and out. I considered adding terminal posts to my crossovers to simplify trying different coils!

An active crossover would be best for this. Search for MOX
there are various threads about it. Sure it will need 2 amps, but with gainclone chip amps they aren't very expensive anymore....
Old 14th January 2005, 08:15 PM   #5
gary f is offline gary f  Canada
diyAudio Member

It is hard to have a variable crossover with a simple knob. You have to change inductor values or capacitor values so it is not very easy.

I think the best way to work on a crossover is to have external crossover to be able to change parts without removing drivers. You can then change an capacitor in a few seconds if you use clips instead of soldering everything.

You could use many capacitor in parallel with switches and be able to put them on or off (if you have two 1uF caps in parallel, you have 2uF total) but it may be a bit compicated to build.

You can also use the "Virtual crossover box"

http://www.purebits.com/virtcross.html

I have never use it so I don't know if it's good, but you may be interrested

F
Old 14th January 2005, 09:04 PM   #6
jmikes is offline jmikes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary f

You can also use the "Virtual crossover box"

http://www.purebits.com/virtcross.html

I have never use it so I don't know if it's good, but you may be interrested

F
I have one of those, and it's the bees knees for a new guy like me just starting to do his own crossovers. In my short experience, it's been especially handy for doing zobels. It isn't cheap, but it also doesn't take long to waste $200 on the wrong crossover parts.
Old 14th January 2005, 09:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Why don't you just stick with a tried and true design and get your feet wet with enclosure building and wiring?

For a newb, I wouldn't recommend and crossover design box such as the one suggested because you might come up with a sound you like but not know, for example, that the impedance drops down to 1 ohm due to a poor combination of values.
Old 14th January 2005, 10:31 PM   #8
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default You could use L-Pads

Have a look at the Tempest project, where these high power potentiometers are used to adjust the relative levels of the midrange and tweeter.
Tempest
Old 14th January 2005, 10:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default The Only Thing You Need to Know

Behringer DEQ2496

http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Hide this!Advertise here!