Crazy studio monitor ideas. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2005, 03:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crazy studio monitor ideas.

Hello.
I have a ste of KRK V6 monitors.they sound ok.But I have been toying with the idea of using the plate amp for a different project.
The v6 uses axon orca drivers,wich are good for their low price.Now im thinking of using higher quality drivers to make a better speaker in a homemade box.Basicly using only the amp wich seems nicely built.
I told you this was a crazy idea did I not?
here is some data for the original drivers:

axon orca bass 6.5 inch
6s1
Specifications
Nominal Power Handling (W) 50
Sensitivity 88.1
Fs 55.76
Vas 13.76
Qts 0.47
Qes 0.56
Qms 3.02
Sd 113.10
Mms 10.63

T1s 0.75 dome

Specifications
Nominal Power Handling (W) 50
Net Weight (kg) 0.53
SPL 90
Ferrofluid damped.
* Power handling: 50 watts RMS/75 watts max *
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms * DC resistance: 6.4 ohms *
Frequency range: 2,500-20,000 Hz (UHH,WHAT?Look at the specs from the amp...) Magnet weight: 3.7 oz. *
Fs: 1,550 Hz * SPL: 90 dB 1W/1m * Net weight: 1-1/8 lbs. *
Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 4", Cutout Diameter: 3-3/16",
Mounting Depth: 1-3/16", Magnet Diameter: 3-3/16".

the plate amp is activly crossed at 1.9khz I dont know the slope of the xo and the amp gives 60w to the woofer and 30w to the tweeter.

I can use win ISD to model my bassresponse but I would like to have some input on the choice of drivers...
For woofer I like the dynaudio or phl drivers maybe the extremis from adair audio.I d like a better bass response than a 6.5 unit would usually produce. An 8 inch would be a better choice I think.
Theese speakers does not need to be shielded.I dont want to have to use a sub with theese but I need to hear what is going on down there,and Im ready for a speaker with less bass and a low Q
As for tweeters I like the Wave guide units from vifa or sililar High end units...

The V6 have a 2 db difference between the two drivers. And it seems like the high end on the speakers are somewhat dull.

What say you audio wizards? I just dont know,but it seems like a fun project. Oh, BTW I dont expect to come out in the end with something sounding like a really nice pair of ADAMS or genelec.
Just good ol nice DIY.
Old 15th January 2005, 02:39 PM   #2
Asdonk is offline Asdonk  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

why not use eton 7-372/32 woofers and for example a vifa tweeter, this will sound almost as good as a pair off active
adam monitors, it all depends on how much you want to pay for a good monitor speaker
i mention both drivers because i have used them in a active setup
the eton woofer in a 18 litre cabinet with the vifa tweeter crossed at 2.8 khz , the amplifiers are 130 w for the bass and 70 w for the tweeter
Old 15th January 2005, 03:47 PM   #3
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Volt BM220.8 is apparently a favourite among some expensive monitor manufactorers. It has a plastic cone, very linear, can be pushed very hard, and has a v flat frequency response up to 3.5K. Around $220CAN from solen.

sardonx
Old 15th January 2005, 08:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sardonx
It has a plastic cone, very linear, can be pushed very hard, and has a v flat frequency response up to 3.5K.
It sounds pretty good as well!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th January 2005, 09:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It sounds pretty good as well!
Yes.. so I've heard, but won't know until I build my own pair! How would you describe their sound, Pinkmouse?
Old 15th January 2005, 09:50 PM   #6
qubix is offline qubix  Poland
diyAudio Member

ain't this eton woofer hexacone? I've read, that those can be really nasty in terms of distortions. Read http://ldsg.snippets.org/vendors/eton.php3
Old 15th January 2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

It may be that the quality of the plate amp is appropriate to the quality of the drivers. This project doesn't make much sense. A crossover is designed for specific drivers typically, whether active or not. You may get lucky if you match sensitivity exactly and it's a generic 4th LR or something. Much of the what makes a good speaker good is the design, not the components.

BTW, Genelec monitors generally use Seas drivers AFAIK. Adams use Eton.

Seas drivers aren't too expensive, and wouldn't be a bad way to go. You may get lucky.

GB
Old 15th January 2005, 10:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sardonx
How would you describe their sound, Pinkmouse?
Very clean and crisp, with an almost effortless presentation. They don't go that low, as is usual with pro drivers, and you're looking at about 35/40Hz max at the bottom end. Although the high end extension is good, I wouldn't run them any more than about 2.5K to avoid excessive beaming. There are drivers that sound better at low listening levels, but few that go loud and hold up as well as the Volts.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th January 2005, 10:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks...

I'll be buying them after the 7" Revelators.

Sardonx
Old 16th January 2005, 05:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

"This project doesn't make much sense. A crossover is designed for specific drivers typically, whether active or not. You may get lucky if you match sensitivity exactly and it's a generic 4th LR or something. "
Yes i know it doesent really make sense....crazy i told you all at the start.But I have the parts and would like to do something fun.
Iam willing to bet that the xo is simple.Thanks for the input on the drivers.
ill just match the 1.9 db difference and hope for the best....

Hide this!Advertise here!