Would like details of this Back Loaded Horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2005, 03:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Would like details of this Back Loaded Horn

Found this on a website from Austraila (Andy G's). He responded to my email but couldn't remember where he got the pic.

Anyone know where i can find it? or
Where I can find details on small(er) back loaded horns?

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back loaded horn.jpg (8.2 KB, 409 views)
Old 14th January 2005, 04:51 PM   #2
alejo is offline alejo  Argentina
diyAudio Member

I dont remember the site. is the JAPAN site, is for sales site

use google, only replys in JAPAN

and in this time IŽn search for TQWT or full range or horm
Old 14th January 2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

If it helps, that looks like the enclosure fabrication technique one of the members here tried. Multiple layers, CNC routed as required and glue together.
Old 14th January 2005, 07:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stocker
If it helps, that looks like the enclosure fabrication technique one of the members here tried. Multiple layers, CNC routed as required and glue together.
Yes, it's a laminated enclosure. I've built laminated enclosures. I'm interested in building a smallest back loaded horn, not sure where to get details of finished design.

Phil
Old 14th January 2005, 10:18 PM   #5
Banned

That design looks really neat but all those fancy rounded bends serve no purpose as it's a rear-loaded horn intended to work only in the bass, 100 Hz or so and lower, while rounded bends and other reflectors have no effect below about 200 Hz or so. The smallest possible backhorn would be a spiral design with no space wasted on wide radius rounded bends.
Old 15th January 2005, 06:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Try this address

http://www.spnet.ne.jp/~hasehiro/pro...kroadhorn.html

The Oracle - to the rescue
Old 15th January 2005, 10:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
The source is a Japanese website:

http://www.spnet.ne.jp/%7Ehasehiro/p...kroadhorn.html

Notice that it's a "backRoaded" horn. LOL

In the near future I'm going to try something similar, but with styrofoam except for the side panels of plywood. Hot wire cut the entire horn out of a block of styrofoam. Then epoxy and fiberglass for rigidity and smooth the pathway of the horn. If the first test shows I need more rigidity, then after cutting the horn, I can slice the styrofoam vertically into a few slices like the mdf horns pictures. Sandwiching some epoxy layers will definitely give sufficient rigidity combined with the interior surface covering. A truly easy to build very light back horn will be the final result.

I also have plans to do a styrofoam version of the Jensen Imperial back horn. For it I will have a narrow top and wide bottom, so no parallel walls, better throat shape, and what is usually a 300lb speaker will be well under 100lbs.

I bring these projects up because seeing the smooth horn contours of those layered mdf horns gave me the idea to use styrofoam. Initial tests of the strength of styrofoam with epoxy and fiberglass are very encouraging.
Old 16th January 2005, 02:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
The source is a Japanese website:

http://www.spnet.ne.jp/%7Ehasehiro/p...kroadhorn.html

Notice that it's a "backRoaded" horn. LOL

I bring these projects up because seeing the smooth horn contours of those layered mdf horns gave me the idea to use styrofoam. Initial tests of the strength of styrofoam with epoxy and fiberglass are very encouraging.
Well at least I know where they come from. Try as I may, my Japanese is a bit weak to comprehend the construction details.

I feel I have adaquate skills to laminate speakers of this type. Can anyone help me with details to build a small pair of these. I have no driver preferences. Thanks

Phil

Hide this!Advertise here!