Would like details of this Back Loaded Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Found this on a website from Austraila (Andy G's). He responded to my email but couldn't remember where he got the pic.

Anyone know where i can find it? or
Where I can find details on small(er) back loaded horns?

Phil

Attachments

• back loaded horn.jpg
    back loaded horn.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 446
Stocker said:
If it helps, that looks like the enclosure fabrication technique one of the members here tried. Multiple layers, CNC routed as required and glue together.
Yes, it's a laminated enclosure. I've built laminated enclosures. I'm interested in building a smallest back loaded horn, not sure where to get details of finished design.

Phil

The source is a Japanese website:

http://www.spnet.ne.jp/~hasehiro/product/backroadhorn.html

Notice that it's a "backRoaded" horn. LOL

In the near future I'm going to try something similar, but with styrofoam except for the side panels of plywood. Hot wire cut the entire horn out of a block of styrofoam. Then epoxy and fiberglass for rigidity and smooth the pathway of the horn. If the first test shows I need more rigidity, then after cutting the horn, I can slice the styrofoam vertically into a few slices like the mdf horns pictures. Sandwiching some epoxy layers will definitely give sufficient rigidity combined with the interior surface covering. A truly easy to build very light back horn will be the final result.

I also have plans to do a styrofoam version of the Jensen Imperial back horn. For it I will have a narrow top and wide bottom, so no parallel walls, better throat shape, and what is usually a 300lb speaker will be well under 100lbs.

I bring these projects up because seeing the smooth horn contours of those layered mdf horns gave me the idea to use styrofoam. Initial tests of the strength of styrofoam with epoxy and fiberglass are very encouraging.

johninCR said:
The source is a Japanese website:

http://www.spnet.ne.jp/~hasehiro/product/backroadhorn.html

Notice that it's a "backRoaded" horn. LOL

I bring these projects up because seeing the smooth horn contours of those layered mdf horns gave me the idea to use styrofoam. Initial tests of the strength of styrofoam with epoxy and fiberglass are very encouraging.
Well at least I know where they come from. Try as I may, my Japanese is a bit weak to comprehend the construction details.

I feel I have adaquate skills to laminate speakers of this type. Can anyone help me with details to build a small pair of these. I have no driver preferences. Thanks

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.