Best 4.5 inch drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
replacement woofer...

The original Super Zero used a Tonegen 458 woofer--not sure if it is available anywhere..

efficiency was 86db
85Hz(-3 db) 12db/octave low pass @ 2.2kHz
7.5 Ohm min resistence.

To me it seems that thw Seas L12 would be a close match, in regards to efficiency, and impedence (and frequency response too!). I guess I would calculate the enclosure and do a little more work if they were mine..

stew

Hi Jazzbearz,

I've attached a plot of Xmax displacement vs. frequency for a 4.5" speaker in a sealed box for producing 110 db SPL @ 1m. This would give about 90db at the listening position with reasonable headroom for transients.

Most single 4.5" speakers are crossed around 300Hz and 2Khz to match their excursion and IM distortion limitations.

I get the best midrange sound from a sealed box with a lot of sound absorpton material to keep reflections from the rear of the cone. I have not seen many high end speakers with ported midranges.

Attachments

• displacement.jpg
    displacement.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 518
Count me as #3 vote for the CSS driver. I am using it full range and it sounds nice, LOTS more bass capabillity than the little tonegen woofer in the superzero, which I've owned before. Its also fairly easy to crossover because of the controlled cone breakup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.