Aura NSW2's and 1's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Speaking of these drivers on another thread got me thinking about two speakers that I saw, but do not hear, at the 2005 CES.

Monster cable's new line arrays appear to use these drivers as well as a new model from McIntosh that is a huge line array. It is called something like the XRT33 I believe. Sorry McIntosh does not have any info on their web site yet, but I thouhgt that someone may know if these drivers are indeed the Aura's or not. Looking at Zaph's distortion measurements, I hope not, because both of these are mega buck systems. Anyone else out there see or listen to these?

Zaph, see you at the movies in May..........I'm looking into getting 42 people to go as a group.

Greg

studiotech said:
Speaking of these drivers on another thread got me thinking about two speakers that I saw, but do not hear, at the 2005 CES.

Monster cable's new line arrays appear to use these drivers as well as a new model from McIntosh that is a huge line array. It is called something like the XRT33 I believe. Sorry McIntosh does not have any info on their web site yet, but I thouhgt that someone may know if these drivers are indeed the Aura's or not. Looking at Zaph's distortion measurements, I hope not, because both of these are mega buck systems. Anyone else out there see or listen to these?

Hmm, they could have also used the cheaper OEM version of these drivers, the NS2-193. I haven't tested those. (I can't get them)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hard to guess at the performance it could go either way. If they sound anything like the NS3-193, they could be nice.

OEM cost on those drivers is likely to be about $4 ea in quantity. Makes you sick, doesn't it? :D

studiotech said:
Zaph, see you at the movies in May..........I'm looking into getting 42 people to go as a group.

Heheh. My fear is that the movie will suck and completely destroy the books.

Luke (Uof Iowa) said:
If you look at the pictures, it seems like they're using 3 different drivers. Two different 1" and either a 3" or 4". Maybe the NS3 or new NS4, but with a black cone.

http://www.mdesignlife.com/eleganza.asp

Thanks for the link. Yup, the Bambina and the Bambino are definitely the Aura NSW2 and NS3-193 with a black cone. I found the product literature interesting, since they show the insides of the drivers. I've never seen the tweeter before.

http://www.mdesignlife.com/pdf/LIT_PIL_StrLnTwr_G2ks3.pdf

Speaking of the NSW2's

Does anyone have a good, secure way of temporarily connecting wires to these drivers? My one complaint about them is that the flat copper pieces that look like mounting terminals really aren't; the only thing connected to the vc's are those little bubbles of solder. I soldered pigtail leads onto mine, using hot glue for strain relief, and attaching a small terminal block (the kind Europeans use where Americans typically use wire nuts) at the end.

Re: Speaking of the NSW2's

Pallas said:
Does anyone have a good, secure way of temporarily connecting wires to these drivers? My one complaint about them is that the flat copper pieces that look like mounting terminals really aren't; the only thing connected to the vc's are those little bubbles of solder. I soldered pigtail leads onto mine, using hot glue for strain relief, and attaching a small terminal block (the kind Europeans use where Americans typically use wire nuts) at the end.

I don't think there's any way to temporarily connect wires to these. Yes, one of those copper pads on the side is not connected. I used the same technique that I used to connect wires to a Panasonic microphone capsule. First I stripped and tinned the wire with solder. Then I tinned the copper contact patch. Then I used Helping Hands to position the tinned wire onto the tinned copper pad. One little touch with a solder pen and both become perfectly connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.