Reusing Vifa XT25 and Peerless 850136

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Presently I have vifa XT25 and peerless 850136 in a cabinet which I don't really like the sound (my 1st speaker project). So I'm planning to reuse a them in a new cabinet.

I'm thinking of building the XT25 with another mid-bass driver in a bookshelf cabinet and the Peerless 850136 into another cabinet as a sub. For midbass driver I'm thinking of the Peerless 850108(5.5" CSX), 850488(5.25"HDS), Vifa PL14WJ09-08

Appreciate some comments since this will be my 2nd speaker project.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not having used any of these drivers this may be a bit presumptuous, but based on the freq response on the data sheets alone, my pick would be the 850488 slightly better off axis between 2Khz and 3Khz, and I think a little smoother overall compared to the 108.

The 108 may be better if you are crossing to your sub at 80Hz due to it's lower resonant freq, but best thing to do there is do some modelling and see what the differences are :)

The vifa driver seems a bit ragged after 1Khz (to be fair it is pretty good but compared to the peerless which is very flat, it doesn't look as good) Of course it's possible that Vifa's measurements are "more realistic" than peerless' ;) hence you might be better off waiting for an opinion of someone who has actually listened to these drivers :)

Tony.

I have used the 5.5 HDS with the XT25, in fact, it's sitting in my living room right now (unless I've been burgled).
I used a series crossover (try a search on the forum using the words "5.5 peerless xt25 series" and you'll see it.
I would recommend using the peerless 850136 as a subwoofer and using the 5.5HDS in a 7litre ported box.
I ended up stuffing the ports and using the 5.5hds as a sealed box as this matched much better with my separate (powered) subwoofer.
Good luck.

I have made a prototype 2-way with a 850488 and a 812978 (got the wrong version, should've been 811830). I built this to try some baffle ideas before building a 3-way with a 850146 for bass. I like the sound very much, but these are my first diy-speakers so i don't have much to compare with. They are a lot better than any other speakers i've had, but those were mostly **** anyway...

I chose those drivers mostly becuase of their smooth frequency-response and wide overlap, to make the filter construction easier.

Right now i run them with an active filter (24dB LR 2kHz) from the computer, but i'm just about to finish an opamp version of the same. The somewhat low xover is because i wanted to cross before the 5" starts to beam. It migh be a little low for my tweeter, but with steep filters i think i'm ok. I haven't got around to measuring yet, but will do this soon.

/Andreas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.