dB Room gain in a midbass horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If a midbass horn intended for use on a stage down to 150 Hz, is put into a corner, what can we predict (+/ - 2 or 3 db) it would be likely get down to?

Reason for asking – I can get some pro cabinets fairly cheap (that could easily save me three months of available time): local copies of “Martin Audio/ JBL modular” units, intended for sitting on a stage.

The room gain rule of thumb for a normal box, going from half to quarter space is IIRC plus 6 dB/ octave, and into a corner plus 12 dB/ octave.

I want to get down to about 70 Hz, ie one octave. I guess it depends on:
- how quickly these boxes are falling off over that range (any estimates?)
- if the above gain "rule" is correct over that range, for a horn

Advice or experience appreciated!

Thanks

RG

Gain from corner loading only occurs within the passband of the speaker, it doesn't lower the passband. If you were to arrange the cabinets aiming them into the corner so that the room became an extension of the horn length and mouth area you would lower the passband, but you'd also attenuate the midrange response. You're far better off just to build or buy a speaker with the intended response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.