Budget PA Speaker - HELP!!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2005, 11:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Budget PA Speaker - HELP!!!!

I want to build myself a pair of cheap PA speakers that would be £100, E150, $150 or less for the pair not including wood.

(I'm In The UK)

What is the easiest/cheapest way i can do this.

At the moment I'm thinking a 10", or 12", eminence alpha driver or Celestion Truvox paired with a piezo tweeter of the same efficiency.

(Can i just send wires from the piezo and the woofer to a terminal, and then amplify that) because that seems the easiest way.

In a (less than) 100 litres box.

If anyone knows of any designs on the web that would be usefull, i've looked at fane and celestions websites that both offer designs, but they use compression drivers that unfortunatley cost alot more when you add the price of the Horn, and crossover.

Please help i want to build A PA speaker.
Old 13th January 2005, 01:56 AM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Since you will have a big driver with the tweeter, it's hard to plug them both on the terminal, because you will overdrive the tweeter.
Old 13th January 2005, 02:30 AM   #3
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default check your prices....

If you can spring the funds for a pair of Eminence gamma or delta 12's + a pair of Motorola KSN1065 or KSN 1142/1151 and a few components, let me know and I'll arrange to send you some plans.
Old 13th January 2005, 02:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default PS.....

DO NOT hook the piezo up direct with the woofer, it will sound like S..T !!!
I know they say in some places you can... BUT DON'T !!
Old 13th January 2005, 04:27 AM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

http://pispeakers.com/AvailableComponents.htm#Studio

GM
Old 13th January 2005, 04:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Look at this. I'm not sure that they fit your budget (which is pretty low), but at least it will give you some food for thought.

Bill publishes these designs in AudioXpress.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/
Old 13th January 2005, 09:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Andy,

How much would it cost to ship the two piezo tweeters (If i can't source them in the UK, know of anywhere?) to the UK.

As i can buy the main drivers myself.

You mention components, and i'm immediately scared, sounds awfully like crossovers, or were you thinking of a filter to stop over-eager response at high KHZ.

I was originally thinking of using a Delta 12, because of the superb efficiency, but the only piezo tweeters that i have found that have 100db can handle about 16w

These speakers would actually be used for small PA use, as I'm a coach of a basketball team and we want warm up music, and to introduce our players

Because of that will the PI Speakers be suitable, or are they ment for low power tube amps etc.

Regards

Dan
Old 13th January 2005, 09:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

If your not sure what you're doing, may I suggest getting something second hand? It may take some searching, but for instance on the Crystal Pro Audio there is a pair of Rogers RM2s for £30 each plus VAT. You may not want to buy these particular ones, but this kind of thing might be more feasable for you, so just look around locally.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 13th January 2005, 10:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seekingwisdom
Andy,

How much would it cost to ship the two piezo tweeters (If i can't source them in the UK, know of anywhere?) to the UK.

I would be amazed if the Motorola (or CTS) piezos are not available somewhere in the UK !!!!

and despite data given, the KSN 1065 or KSN1142/1151 will match the Gamma or Delta 12 or 15 without a problem, and with a few simple components either will do a very good job !
Old 14th January 2005, 12:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think i found the tweeter that you mentioned.

If it's not the right one, do you know where i can get them in the UK, google searches dont turn up much.

Electrovision (UK) catalouge page, i think this is the piezo you talked about

What components would i need, would they be hard to source, and how difficult would they be to use/implement.

ALSO

I was thinking about the project, and have changed my mind about box size, if it could be as small as possible, but with bass output still reasonable, i dont no what is, that would aid in portability, unless a large volume box can be small, ie not 3 foot high and 1 foot wide.

HELP

Hide this!Advertise here!