Budget PA Speaker - HELP!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build myself a pair of cheap PA speakers that would be £100, E150, $150 or less for the pair not including wood.

(I'm In The UK)

What is the easiest/cheapest way i can do this.

At the moment I'm thinking a 10", or 12", eminence alpha driver or Celestion Truvox paired with a piezo tweeter of the same efficiency.

(Can i just send wires from the piezo and the woofer to a terminal, and then amplify that) because that seems the easiest way.

In a (less than) 100 litres box.

If anyone knows of any designs on the web that would be usefull, i've looked at fane and celestions websites that both offer designs, but they use compression drivers that unfortunatley cost alot more when you add the price of the Horn, and crossover.

Please help i want to build A PA speaker.

Andy,

How much would it cost to ship the two piezo tweeters (If i can't source them in the UK, know of anywhere?) to the UK.

As i can buy the main drivers myself.

You mention components, and i'm immediately scared, sounds awfully like crossovers, or were you thinking of a filter to stop over-eager response at high KHZ.

I was originally thinking of using a Delta 12, because of the superb efficiency, but the only piezo tweeters that i have found that have 100db can handle about 16w :bawling:

These speakers would actually be used for small PA use, as I'm a coach of a basketball team and we want warm up music, and to introduce our players :)

Because of that will the PI Speakers be suitable, or are they ment for low power tube amps etc.

Regards

Dan

seekingwisdom said:
Andy,

How much would it cost to ship the two piezo tweeters (If i can't source them in the UK, know of anywhere?) to the UK.

I would be amazed if the Motorola (or CTS) piezos are not available somewhere in the UK !!!!

and despite data given, the KSN 1065 or KSN1142/1151 will match the Gamma or Delta 12 or 15 without a problem, and with a few simple components either will do a very good job !

I think i found the tweeter that you mentioned.

If it's not the right one, do you know where i can get them in the UK, google searches dont turn up much.

Electrovision (UK) catalouge page, i think this is the piezo you talked about

What components would i need, would they be hard to source, and how difficult would they be to use/implement.

ALSO :)

I was thinking about the project, and have changed my mind about box size, if it could be as small as possible, but with bass output still reasonable, i dont no what is, that would aid in portability, unless a large volume box can be small, ie not 3 foot high and 1 foot wide.

HELP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.