professional opinion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on building a 3 way loudspeaker system....Each loudspeaker in a seperate chamber. I wanted to get an opinion on the crossover before I began building...how does this sound...

1" Tweeter: 2K-20K .....Fs=900Hz
6" Mid : 45-3.5K
8" Woofer: 27-2K

Tweeter/Mid crossover: 3rd order at 3000 Hz
Mid/Woofer crossover : 1st order at 600Hz

Im barely trying to learn this....Am I on the right track??....Would these drivers work well with eachother?/

Thanks

Try to measure the individual frequency and impedance response of each driver in the speaker cabinet which will be used. With information out of those measurements you can start thinking about the the actual cross-over. And maybe with the help of some simulation software start designing your filter.

Yes the drivers should work, but without measurements you don't get the maximum out of it. Tuning by ear of a cross-over out of textbook calculations just doesn't converge to an optimal speaker.

If you don't want to go through all this, then you should consider an existing proven DIY design.

To design a good speaker is quite difficult and when you are just starting with this hobby and want to get better and build more speakers you have to get a measuring setup (just a basic mic + pre-amp + speakerworkshop will do)

First, why a 6" mid? It is so close to the eight in response that it hardly serves a purpose.

There's no reason to cross the 8 over at less than 1kHz, so go with a 2" or so dome mid if you want to go 3way.

Even better, go with two 6 inch woofers in an MTM , cross to the tweeter at 2.5 to 3.5 kHz, get the improved dispersion of an MTM and simplified topology of a 2 way crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.