adjustable crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have noticed that all of the 3 way adjustable electronic crossovers that are available on the market require a tri amped system. One amp for the sub, one for the mid, and one for the tweeter. Does anyone know of a 3 way electronic adjustable crossover such as the Behringer CX3400, but one that only requires a single ampilifier for the input. I am newbie and maybe I am asking the wrong question, but I cant seem to find an answer or someone to correct me.

I have a tower speaker system with one 8 inch sub, 5-1/4" mid, and a 1 inch tweeter. Instead of making a standard 3 way crossover, I would like to incorporate a 3 way electronic one that is adjustable but only requires one amplifier to drive it......ANy help....(anything close would be appreciated also).....Thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You could use one amplifier but it would have to be a six chanel one! when you split with an active crossover you do it before amplification takes place, not after, therefore you need a discrete amplifier for each driver in your speakers.

Tony.

rv1890 said:
I have noticed that all of the 3 way adjustable electronic crossovers that are available on the market require a tri amped system. One amp for the sub, one for the mid, and one for the tweeter. Does anyone know of a 3 way electronic adjustable crossover such as the Behringer CX3400, but one that only requires a single ampilifier for the input. I am newbie and maybe I am asking the wrong question, but I cant seem to find an answer or someone to correct me.

I have a tower speaker system with one 8 inch sub, 5-1/4" mid, and a 1 inch tweeter. Instead of making a standard 3 way crossover, I would like to incorporate a 3 way electronic one that is adjustable but only requires one amplifier to drive it......ANy help....(anything close would be appreciated also).....Thanks

These active or electronic crossovers are desiged to be put between the stereo source and the poweramps.
The input should be a low level signal like that coming from the cd/dvd/tuner player or a rca recording output of a amplifier.
The crossover divides the lowlevel stereo input into 6 lowlevel outputs (left sub,left mid, left high, right sub, right mid and right high) which all need to be amplified by a power amplifier to drive the loudspeaker it is going to (sub left, mid left, tweeter left ... etc).

You should not try to connect the amplifier poweroutput to the Behringer input!
The 6 outputs of the Behringer should be connected to six power amplifier channels.
You could use 3 stereo amplifiers, or use a modern avr receiver with at least 6.1 power output channels and a 6.1 low level analog input like the denon 2105 and up, yamaha 650 and up, pioneer 814 and up, and many more.
There are also 6-channel power amps but mostly too expensive (however, if you got the money for a Behringer this might not be a problem at all).

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.