Filling SEAS Odin Mk3 (Bass?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,
I recently build the SEAS Odin MK3 (not from a kit) and I am not 100% happy with the result.
The problem is, that bass is pretty weak. It's there but it is lacking "pressure" (yes I knwo that this speaker is not supposed to be bass miracle) and it appears to be especially thin in the higher bass areas.

I was therefore wondering whether I have put too much filling into the cases - I just guessed.
I covered all internal wooden parts and the bass reflex tube (except for the mouth) with one layer of polyester cotton (sonofill) which is about 2-3 cm thick. No additional stuffing.
I read in other threads that filling a vented enclosure may hurt it so I am a little bit lost.

It would be great if one of the Odin owners (or in fact anybody more knowledgable than me) can give me a hint how to fill the speakers _properly_?

Other concerns that I have is that this may also result from poor room acoustics (my livingroom has a lot of reflective surfaces).

The amp I use consists of 4 Hypex UCD modules (biamped) to drive the Odins.
While I am here, is there a recommendation for measuring software so that I can verify what I _think_ I hear?

Cheers,
Ingomar

stuff it!

I'm no expert, but the first thing I would try is to add some loose stuffing. From what I have read, stuffing is supposed to make the box appear a little bit bigger by slowing down the sound waves coming from the back of the speakers. I would start by adding a couple of teased handfulls of accousta sftuff or polyfill to each speaker. Just make sure that you don't obstruct the air flow between each woofer and the port. You may also want to try moving your speakers closer to the walls which should help reinforce the bass.

Let me know if you end up finding a solution. I'm thinking of building a pair myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.