quick question about line out jacks on Audigy2 value

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi;
by simple mistake, i was testing an old pair or 2.0 speakers i was gonna give to one of my poorer students. i thought i had unplugged my 2.1's from the sound card and i hadnt. i accidentally plugged the 2.0 into the line out 2 jack. i have a little program that auto detects the speaker configuration in my pc, and a message popped up saying that i had 4.1 speakers...i tested it just out of curiosity, and in the tests it worked fine. in games it worked fine (albeit the 2.0's are MUCH inferior).
MY QUESTION IS:
is it really as simple as that? getting another pair of speakers, "fooling" the PC hardware i got 4.1? if so, can this go any further, like 5 or 6? cause i got a pair of busted altec lansings i got for 2 dollars, with a nice sub and one speaker working. never fixed the other one since my current 2.1 are nice enough. thanks in advance.

You not fooling it at all. You have connected another pair of speakers to an output, so naturally it assumes you can now use two more channels.

You can use any speakers you like for any channel, usually thought people like to use the same speakers to maintain the same sound throughout the soundfield so that it blends more naturally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.