Vifa p13 project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2005, 11:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa p13 project

Hey Y'all,

I am a noob to this forum I was reading through a forum in this site that mentioned a Vifa p13 project with no crossovers and simply a cap or a resistor inline with the tweeter. I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction as to where I would find this project? Also, if there are multiple projects, which one would be the best to try out? Thanks!
Old 6th January 2005, 08:13 AM   #2
mAJORD is offline mAJORD  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think you may be talking about this Wiki project,

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...Vifa+P13%2FD27

id love to see results from this, the thread seems to have died off
Old 6th January 2005, 09:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sweet! Thanks!
Old 6th January 2005, 10:11 AM   #4
foo is offline foo  Tibet
diyAudio Member

I am doing a speaker with XT25 and p13WH.
It might be complete in next week.
I think the woofer is better with an first-order filter.
But the tweeter, I havn't decide yet.
I think it will be good to XO at 3khz with second-order HPF.
BUT 3khz with first-order HPF? Hmm~~ we have to make experiment on this . It might be terrific or just suck.
Generally,I would't go for a woofer without LPF.
There's always some hearable distortions that i can't stand for.
Old 6th January 2005, 10:31 AM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

mAJORD

No, the thread has not died off, just in limbo. I did put up the design and the thread originator x.onassis put his money where is mouth is and built these things as well as other variations using the same drivers. He has reported back on some results and still has more to do but as with all of us other projects seem to come in and take priority (I think he got bit by the GC amp bug).

Since I put up this design without actually building these, I'm going to approach some suppliers in Australia to see if I can get a good price on the drivers so I can build and fine tune the design and report my findings as I think this is valuable for the newbie.

I did supply a series crossover which x.onassis thought was an improvement on the original single cap design.

Give me a bit of time so I can get the drivers and start playing around with a few variations and the thread will then be reborn.

Nice to see some interest in that thread.
Old 6th January 2005, 11:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Now are you saying the project, as is right now, won't work well, because I was going to start building the enclosures this weekend and next week order the parts. Should I wait? The project sounds pretty good, of course, I am a noob...
Old 6th January 2005, 12:02 PM   #7
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

hernja01

The project works well as is and please have a good read through the original thread on some of the findings by x.onassis. Please be aware that this speaker does not have earth shattering bass but majors on the upper bass, mids and clarity.

diyAudio reference speaker project

The aim of was to have a starting point speaker (with readily available drivers) which sounded good and then could then be built upon, tweaked and variations done but all using the same drivers. Builders could then report and compare notes and we all could learn something.

What I am saying is I'm going to tweak to try and improve on the original and as the building is being done 1000's of miles away from me, I would like to attack it as well, as doing a design without getting your hands dirty and not testing is hard and not possible to get the best out of it. To progress the speaker, I would like to try some box and port variations as well as some crossovers but still keep it as a small 2-way bookshelf speaker between 5-9 litres that is economical to build.

There already is a great design in a transmission line, the TLb and I'm keeping out of that territory and concentrating on the bookshelf.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/tlB/index.html

Hope that helps you and you can always email me with any questions.
Old 6th January 2005, 03:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Excellent, I am basically looking for a project that I could use with my subwoofer. I currently have a pair of Bose 301's which I am thoroughly annoyed with after rebuilding an old set of speakers with mere Dayton woofers and tweeters. Now the damn old set sounds better than my Bose 301's. I simply cannot stand listening to them anymore. (I only recently got into the entire DIY audio hobby) Thanks for the advice!
Old 6th January 2005, 03:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Rabbitz is exactly right. Very clear and detailed mids and highs. His series x is an improvement over the single cap, but not wildly different. And yes, I got GC fever.

What I haven't built is the TLb, and I feel badly about that, as my feeling is the design's weakness is the small cab and clearly, that always leads to minimal bass.

I played with bi-amping, plus dual powered subs (to cross higher than 100Hz)...very, very nice.
Bi (w/passive HP) and Tri-amping plus sub(s), using a variety of woofs/enclosures to carry 80 up to 800Hz....absolutely awesome...with the caveats that I found the tweet to be slightly sibilant at high SPL's with the passive x, and 8 active channels of amps are almost infinitely serviceable to a variety of decent drivers.

If you're looking for a cost/performance ratio, the Single driver FE127E TL project beats it IMO. And the Stryke SA071 and SA-TW1 in an 11"x 7"x 47" TL is still the best < $150 full-range speaker I've built. I'd recommend bi-amping an MTM floorstander with GC's or looking at TB 871s mini-line array, plus sub and horn tweet to put your first money in the right place. My advice would be your amp, DIY interest, and dollar dependant.

The "Esquire ala Rabbitz" speak will fill a small room with decent sound. With the budget, I'd go right for the TLb, and you're right, we should bring that thread back to life. What we never discussed were two-ways with larger woofers/cabs to provide more fullrange w/out a sub.
Old 6th January 2005, 04:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Last question, would a 5.1 uf capacitor work, or should I go with the 5.0 uf cap? (in line with the tweeter) Thanks y'all!

Hide this!Advertise here!