Proposed home cinema project + questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, you may have read my other threads on the topics of A/V recievers, crossovers and how i have "done in" my speakers anyway i have come up with a final plan.

I propose to get myself an one of these with my next months pay.

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRDE495-SIL

and build myself front, centre and back speakers during my study breaks;)(exams suck):). Also for my sub i have ordered a variable crossover to solve my problems i mentioned in one of my other threads.

My question is: Since the A/V reciever is already providing amplification and a set frequency output to each separate speaker does this mean i will not have to include a crossover, amp etc in the speakers when in construction? Also, I plan to have the centre/front speakers to unclude a tweeter as well as a mid range driver in a simple, vented, box design - will this give me good enuogh sound quality for music and films?

I there is anything else i should be thinking about.

P.S. I would just like to say thank you for all the help i have recieved so far on these forums. Hopefully one day i will be able to start passing info on to folk as well.

My question is: Since the A/V reciever is already providing amplification and a set frequency output to each separate speaker does this mean i will not have to include a crossover, amp etc in the speakers when in construction? Also, I plan to have the centre/front speakers to unclude a tweeter as well as a mid range driver in a simple, vented, box design - will this give me good enuogh sound quality for music and films?

1. The receiver provides amplification to the separate channels except for the sub which is a line out.
2. The only crossover in the receiver is for the subwoofer.
3. The only speakers (99.9% of the time) not requiring crossovers are single driver designs.

As for designs and whether what you're thinking of will work, that depends on your budget and design skills. If you've not designed speakers before it's best to follow someone else's proven design or use a kit.

Most A/V receivers have only a "big" or "small" setting for the surround, center, and mains. Big means a full range signal is sent to the speaker. Small means just the frequencies above the subwoofer's crossover point are sent to those speakers.

Your subwoofer may not need an XO since the reveiver does that for you. Unless you go with a full range driver, you'll need an XO for each speaker to separate the highs to go to the tweeter and lows to go to the woofer.

I briefly reviewed your last thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48847
and converted pounds to dollars for your budget which looks like USD150 for 5 speakers. That's going to be tough if you're looking for "good" sound. Another question is that since it's for HT are you looking for high volume levels? Perhaps this is the issue with why your previous speakers didn't survive. In this price range it's difficult to get high volume levels of quality sound. My perspective , unfortunately is going to be USA based. I'm not very familiar with component sources in the UK. The two options I can think of are the close-out drivers from Parts Express that some here have been working with or go with a set of inexpensive full rangers like Tangband or Monacor.

I know i don't have much money to spend so what i will do do is start with the front speakers and as funds come in i will expand. I would like something loud with a good punch and as you know the a/v reciever is going to be giving out 80 watts to each channel so the speakers will have to be able to handle that. Will a vented box design with a driver and tweeter do though for what i plan to be using the speakers for? I will have roughly £50 ($80-$100 depending on bla bla bla bla bla...) to spend for the first two speakers.

Hi Dannyball,

£50 for a pair of speakers is pretty low. By the time you've bought a sheet of 18mm mdf (£10ish), some paints etc to finish £(10ish) Crossover components etc you're going to be left with very little for drive units, esp if you want to go more than 1 way.

I'm not saying it can't be done but that it will be hard to.

For a near £50 budget I'd get a pair of these...

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=MISS-M71I-BCH

I have a pair in my garage and for £60 they are really good speakers. My b+w 602's didn't improve on them much, and they cost £300.

You can then add another pair later for left/right surrounds, and later on another pair - 1 for centre, 1 for rear surround. £180 for a 6.1 speaker system ain't bad at all...

Tang band drivers are good value, but shipping from the US etc will eat most of your budget..

Cheers,

Rob

Hi, i already have all the componants or have easy access to components needed other than drivers so i am pritty much ready to build and quite fancy another project to work on other than just watching TV when i'm not doing school work.

I have been on parts express and seen how cheap drivers start at, only prob there is shiping will cost about twice as much as the drivers.

Does anyone have any idea what the sub cross over frequency is for the sony a/v reciever (link above)?

Not sure but most have settings at 80, 100, and 120Hz. That's a valid question and the only way to know for sure is to read the manual or find somebody that has one already. It's a little aggrevating that retailers will post the frequency range of the AM and FM bands (which are pretty standard AFAIK) but not something useful like the sub XO setting choices. :mad:

Considering your price range and goals a BR box should work well.

Ok Dannyball that makes it a bit easier:D

If you can make a sealed box with a f-3 that matches the amps xo then you'd do well. AV receivers generally roll of the main speakers at 12dB/octave, and the sub at 24dB/octave. Sealed boxes roll of around 12dB octave and added to the receivers roll off would produce a 24dB slope to match the sub.

Hope that makes sense.

Good luck with your project btw.

Try maplins or bkelectronics for some more driver choice:

www.maplin.co.uk

http://www.bkelec.com/new/

I take it you found wilmslow aswell:

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

Cheers,

Rob

EDIT: maybe a pro 10" driver plus tweet would work well for this app ? - or even a 10" full range in a sealed box....

This is a quick sim of the Alpha 6 in WinISD just to give you a comparison.

Attachments

• alpha6.gif
    alpha6.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 115
I am also currently looking to build some speakers for my home cinema system, and being based inthe UK have found that drivers are alot more expensive than they are in the US.

Have you had a look at the Alcone units available from www.bkelec.com? (UK based)

The prices are very reasonable, the AC 5.25 HE is just £25.00 and the AC 6.5 He is £32.00.

For and example of what you can acheive with these take a look at this web page; http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm, it maybe in german but you can get a good idea! ;)

Hey Tim,

Maybe if you ported the alpha 6 @40Hz-ish the curve would resemble a sealed roll off with a lower f3 ?

A bit like an ebs curve.

Cheers,

Rob

The graphs are showing simulated output in dB against frequency of your alpha 6 in a sealed box and a ported box.

Do a search for winISD and download it and play with it if you haven't got it already.

Have a look at this site too:

http://ldsg.snippets.org/idx.php3

RobWells said:
Hey Tim,

Maybe if you ported the alpha 6 @40Hz-ish the curve would resemble a sealed roll off with a lower f3 ?

A bit like an ebs curve.

Cheers,

Rob

The graphs are showing simulated output in dB against frequency of your alpha 6 in a sealed box and a ported box.

Do a search for winISD and download it and play with it if you haven't got it already.

Have a look at this site too:

http://ldsg.snippets.org/idx.php3

Rob,
Good call. My post is just a teaser for the Dball man. ;)

Dannyball,
WinISD Alpha is a good place to start playing around with T/S parameters and frequency response sims. It is not comprehensive but it can get you going in the right direction, especially with cabinet size and ported vs. sealed. Crossover design is another animal completely. There are freeware programs for that too but the only way to do it correctly is to perform reasonably accurate measurements with programs like JustMLS or Praxis, then import those measurements into a crossover simulation program like LspCAD. Even then you may need to tweak the XO to get it right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.