New Fountek Ribbons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those that don't know, Fountek is now producing a new series of ribbons: Fountek NeoCD ribbon transducers. This new series appears to have the same chassis, but with a heavier & stronger enforced sandwich ribbon. The new ribbon can handle a little more power, and lower order crossovers. Data available at http://www.fountek.net/products.htm

Any opinions on this new series? Because madisound has discounted the current series, and is planning to stock the new series at the same price as the old.

I'm looking for a ribbon to go between 2 x PHL 1240s mids, in a MTM. Any ideas on which one I should get? I know that others have done something like this with Ravens and AC, and prefer the larger ribbons over the smaller ones. But this limits vertical response. I was thinking of using the JP2(larger) over the JP3(smaller), but now there's NeoCD2.0 & NeoCD3.0, would they really be worth it?

Yes, it seems that Fountek might keep both, but from what madisound tells me - they want to clear out the old series (sell at discounted rate till stock runs out), and bring in the new. They're also looking at how difficult it is to replace & post out the new ribbons, if the new ribbons aren't as fragile as the old ones, then they plan to sell replacements. Presently you have to send the whole unit back to madisound for a new ribbon.

In any case, would the larger ribbon (JP2) be better than the smaller (JP3) with the PHL 1240 mids? I think larger ribbons tend to sound warmer, because of the improved lower-end response. In which case, I guess.. the NeoCD2.0 should be better, as it has much better response up to 1k.

Lastly, how do you get the same sensitivity using the same chassis/magnets, and a heavier ribbon? hmm...

Most “true” ribbons tweeters are built from 8-11 micron thick pure aluminum with corrugations that provide the suspension and dampening. This new Fountek ribbon appears to be constructed from a plastic base material with aluminum either sputtered on or glued on to create the 20 micron thick sandwich mentioned in the datasheet.

Based upon the increase in mass, this new ribbon will be 11/18 as efficient as the older version. It should be far more robust than the previous thin aluminum ribbons, but could have less high end extension, and will likely have a different sonic signature than the all aluminum ribbons.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.