Ouch... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2004, 05:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ouch...

Worked on my line arrays for about 5 hours tonight. I cut the baffles, both Fountek JP-2.0 tweeter holes with recesses and after that I did all 20 5" driver holes with recesses and roundovers on the back. Speaking of back, mine's KILLING me. I have been PUMPED all week building these, but after tonight, I'll be thankful when they're finished! And, I'm only 24! This should be cake for a guy my age!

I think this means no more line arrays for me for a LONG time
Old 31st December 2004, 05:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
The driver holes are the worst part about line arrays. For the first one I built, I wanted a really nice front, so I used a 2"x 8" piece of hardwood. Boy was that a mistake. It turned out beautiful, but those holes were a nightmare. My back still hurts just thinking about it.
Old 31st December 2004, 06:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ouch...

Quote:
[i]
I think this means no more line arrays for me for a LONG time.[/B]
I would hope so. Taking 5 hours for a 1 hour job and exhausting yourself at only 24? At your age you should be able work as a framing carpenter for a full day without a break and then stop by the gym for a few hours on your way home.
Old 31st December 2004, 02:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I hear ya, Bill. It took me 5 hours because my father raised me to be a perfectionist. Measure 37 times, cut once

The hardest part were the ribbon tweeters. What I did was cut out a perfect rectangle that was an inch too narrow and too short, then used a 1/2" rabbet bit. After that I had to get an exacto knife and a metal straight edge and clean up the corners so they weren't so curved. The recess necessary for flush was pretty deep so it took me forever. Oh well, I learned a lesson and that's all that matters!
Old 31st December 2004, 04:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Any pics? Sounds like a lot of work, but worth it in the long run.

Now, just imagine how this level of work is for us 50+ geezers... that's what I've mostly been doing this Xmas break, working on some different speaker projects. Haven't started on the line array yet, because the Extremis 6 hadn't shipped. Just got notice they've gone out, and should be in on Jan 5.

~Jon
Old 31st December 2004, 04:26 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I used to find my back hurt when working on speakers. Then I had a stroke of genius that has helped me in my mid age (42).

I raised my working area so I didn't have to bend over so much.

Cal
Old 2nd January 2005, 02:22 AM   #7
mAJORD is offline mAJORD  Australia
diyAudio Member

haha the joys,

I was a bit cautious and cut my rebates+ holes in my proacs (nearly done) a bit too small so had to file them out by hand , that was the most annoying part of the whole project :/ , was only a mill or so each hole but with the tools i had it was a pain.
Old 2nd January 2005, 02:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
I used to find my back hurt when working on speakers. Then I had a stroke of genius that has helped me in my mid age (42).

I raised my working area so I didn't have to bend over so much.

Cal
Good idea, I have done my back in twice using the router standing just slightly bent over, does not work well with lower back muscles. Each time I am out of action for a couple of days till it heals. I am 19...... doesnt matter about age, if you use your body in a way it doesnt like, it will break. You may get more mileage out of being slightly younger but in the end you get the same result.

With me its not the height its at, its having to lean into the bench to reach something thats a foot or so in. When I cut 6*2 MDF in one foot width 2 feet long sections, I have to lean in to move the router along the MDF, thats what hurts. Oh well you only live once and im not going to stop making speakers, besides if its muscular it will heal.
Old 2nd January 2005, 08:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Kinda like leaning over a car fender working on an engine. After several hours yours legs start to hurt pretty bad.

Course its the same under the car reaching up....work period sucks

Hide this!Advertise here!