John Krutke Designs adaptable for Home Theatre? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2005, 02:13 AM   #11
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

I had totally forgotten that you can use the shielded M130-SH midwoofer in the MBOW1-
in http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html
Dennis says that "M130 comes in both shielded and unshielded version, they measure very similarly, and the choice is yours."

So you can buy the shielded version of the midwoofer to use in the MBOW1 and MBOW1 3-way, without crossover modifications.

If you choose 5 or 7 x MBOW1, you will require a subwoofer for HT(5.1, 7.1), but if you decide to build the 3 way for L/R, you can get away without using a sub. In my mind there's no doubt that a 10" woofer per side will sound more cohesive than a MBOW1 + single separate subwoofer sitting somewhere in the corner of the room.

The M130 and OW1 is unavailable in Australia, but easily shipped from GR Research and Hiquphon respectively for a nominal fee.
The big 10" Peerless (CSX 850146) woofer in the MBOW 1 3way is available in Sydney/Australia from WES Components.

By all accounts these speakers are excellent. Don't let the price of that M130 fool you, this unit performs far beyond what the price would suggest. Objective measurements by Mark K and subjectcive evaluations from the handful of Madisound forum members who have built the 2 and 3 way confirm this. There's plenty of listening opinions and construction tips and inspiration awaiting you...

I did a careful cost analysis when looking for a 3-way to build after my 2-way ProAc Response 2.5 clone. I finally decided on the NaO (AEP-CW), but the MBOW1-3way was one on my list.

Dave- after factoring in shipping to Australia, the each M130 costs about AU$60, OW1 AU$140, and 850146 A$140 (WES AU$RRP)

edit: bit of a pedantic about grammar/spelling, but hopefully that's the last edit.
edit 2: that's shipping prices based on pair (stereo). Will vary if you order more. Contact GR/Hiquphon for info. I order SCR caps and non-inductor resistors from WES, and inductors from Equinos Audio, but you may consider ordering crossover parts from GR Research, since they're light compared to drivers and come along for the ride.
Old 1st January 2005, 02:15 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

First Off Happy New Year to everyone!

Thankyou all very much for your replies I'm certainly learning a lot from all of you and I've definately written off the centre mtm now

At your advise I also took the thread to madisound where john hangs out and I was actually put onto the dennis murphy mbow1
exactly like hifizen has just done here which I can only take is a good sign.

If you don't mind I'm going to paste in my questions from madisound just to get a few more of you knowledgable guys opinions

"I've been doing a heck of a lot of reading about the mbow1 and it as well seems like a decent setup. My only concerns from my readings is sometimes lack of bass and not being able to really "crank" them up reports worries me if I'm using them for rock style music. Obviously this may make a sub a necessity especially for HT usage but just wanted to make sure they aren't going to be too weak for my needs.

A couple of more quick questions now if you dont mind. Is the CAOW1 worth considering? It seems to be an upgrade on the MBOW1 but I can't tell if theres a shielded version.

There's also a 3way version of the mbow1 which to my untrained eye appears to be in simple terms mbow1's sitting on top of 10inch subs. Would normal mbow1's with a single sub do the job just as well?

With the mbow1's shielded version (which I presume I would only use for the centre) would that use exactly the same crossover?

Would you guys recommend I use mbow1's (or caow1's for that matter) for all 5 speakers or would you substitute a cheaper option like the mb20 for surrounds? (I'm worried about a change in drivers here defeating the whole purpose)

slightly off topic would this be the kind of amp I would be looking at for one of those adire subs? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=5738204298

thanks again and look forward to your reply.

edit looks like we posted at the same time mate thankyou for working out the prices for me much appreciated. It looks like we could be onto a winner here just waiting to get those couple of questions clarified and we could be good to go

oops another quick edit, I got all excited after reading those final prices but crossovers isn't included there is it? Would I be best off importing them as well or buying locally? Will they add much to the price and how on earth did you calculate the shipping so easily?
Old 1st January 2005, 02:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Something to remember with a lot of the plate amps is that they have a bass boost of 6db at 35 hz is that it will have to be disabled .

The plate amp on ebay looks like a jaycar plate amp which has this problem

it can be fixed by changing a couple of resistors
Old 2nd January 2005, 12:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

oh wow thats a interesting bit of info I'll have to look into that.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on the caow1 over the mbow1 (not sure if theres a shielded version if not it's ruled out anyway)

Also any opinion on mb20's as rears? would make it cheaper but we end up with mismatched drivers?

I am a little confused at what the 2 way mbow1's play down to. Going by the graph on the page it looks like it drops off way up at 120ish hz. Am I reading this incorrectly as I've heard they can go down to 50ish. (It's been surprisingly hard to find info on these speakers I've search both these and madisounds forums)

Basically in my head now I'm thinking 5 mbow1 satellites full range and a sub covering anything below. I'm just a little worried about how high I'm going to need to take the sub and any blending problems.
Old 2nd January 2005, 03:48 PM   #15
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I think I replied to the same thread over on Madisound, with the useless info that I don't use center channels.

I'd like to suggest another option, the North Creek Echo.

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Echo/EchoInfo.htm

These are fully shielded speakers. And unlike mine or Dennis Murphy's designs, they are designed to sound good close to boundaries. You could put them right up against the wall. Also, they cross over low enough that they can be laid on their side and still maintain good horizontal off axis response - Perfect for center channel usage. And finally, they are a very good value - $150/pair is practically a steal for speakers of this quality. I heard a pair of these at DIY Chicago, and they were very good.

I think that the OW1 tweeter, at $190/pair is a little overpriced for what you get. It doesn't perform any better than a $30 USD Seas except in the area of top octave off axis response. If you go for Dennis Murphy's design, I'd pick the MB27 over the MBOW1. Note that with either of these designs, due to the high crossover point the center channel will have to sit upright to maintain horizontal off axis response. The tweeters aren't available shielded anyway, so they would have to be upright just to keep them away from the picture tube.

Regards,
John
Old 3rd January 2005, 12:51 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi John

Wow thanks for adding yet more confusion the price is pretty good on this set you have pointed out I'm finding it a little hard to find reviews on them though. You've mentioned you've listened to them objectively compared to your mtm and seas mt setup how did they sound? also possibly a comparison to the mbow1 would be great. Basically I'm all for going a cheaper set but as these speakers are going to have to last me years I want to do it properly and don't want any regrets as in I should of spent more. (keeping in mind it will be mostly ht usage but occasionaly cranked for rock style music)

Onto the north creeks again is the only place to buy the components directly from them? Indidually for a pair it looks like the drivers are worth around the $65 mark yet there pair price is $149 is there $90 worth of value in the crossover or am I missing something? I'm also looking for info on whether they ship to Australia.

Finally I noticed they mentioned a centre channel in mtm style yet I can't seem to see the plans, would you recommend I stick to the 5 of the same speakers? My tv is also ~2ft from the wall this won't cause any problems will it?

thanks again

Hide this!Advertise here!